Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacrisert!?

Hey everybody,

has anybody tried Lacrisert? I just learned that it exists and it sounds like a perfect solution for my constant use of eye drops. I'm curious about it, so please tell me!

Thank you!!!

P.S. In case some are wondering...I haven't been on this board for three months now- I've had that eye operation and it was horrible (--> three operations followed because there were problems with the stiches) and now my left eye is still totally red and ugly (I don't believe it'll go away)...anyway, I'm so desperate about that that I hardly wanna talk about it. Just wanted to let you know in case some were wondering were I was. Anyway, I don't regred the operation because the "red net of blood vessels" the doctors took out was a nevus which could have become malignant at any time without anybody noticing.

Stephgurl-Lacrisert has been around for more than ten years. It has recently been taken on by a new company and they are advertising and getting the word out, no doubt trying to make the public aware of this. I tried Lacriserts about 7 or 8 years ago for my Lasik dry eyes. It was nothing I could use and it didn't help me. They are tiny slivers of gelatin-like material that you put in your lower eyelid. You pull the lower lid down and insert this little slippery thing. Often it falls on the floor and you can't see it.

They did not melt for me and they must melt to add moisture to your eyes. Then it was like a blob of jello floating around in my line of vision. There has been several things written about Lacriserts on this forum. I tried the Lacrisert again recently and it burned my worst eye. You should probably read more about them. Lucy

P.S. You need to ask your doctor if you can use Lacrisert. You need a prescription for it, but make sure it's the doc who did your surgery or knows about it.

Here's a link to one thread.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ight=Lacrisert
    Last edited by Lucy; 15-Dec-2008, 21:39. Reason: addition
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by stephgurl1986 View Post
      Hey everybody,

has anybody tried Lacrisert? I just learned that it exists and it sounds like a perfect solution for my constant use of eye drops. I'm curious about it, so please tell me!

Thank you!!!

P.S. In case some are wondering...I haven't been on this board for three months now- I've had that eye operation and it was horrible (--> three operations followed because there were problems with the stiches) and now my left eye is still totally red and ugly (I don't believe it'll go away)...anyway, I'm so desperate about that that I hardly wanna talk about it. Just wanted to let you know in case some were wondering were I was. Anyway, I don't regred the operation because the "red net of blood vessels" the doctors took out was a nevus which could have become malignant at any time without anybody noticing.
      Stephgurl,

Ouch! I am so sorry to hear about your problems. I have tried lacrisert but I didn't have an operation like you have had. It didn't work for me but some people have had good results.

At the time, I also had really bad dental problems causing me a lot of pain (dry mouth) so maybe I did not give it a fair trial. Some people say it works wonders for them.

One thing about it was that it was very, very expensive. The co-pay, with insurance, was $50 a month but if it works, it's worth it. It did offer some relief to me and I thought for the first few days that it was going to work. Then, like so many other things, the positive effects lessened.

If you do decide to do a trial, the trick to putting the lacriserts into your eye is to dampen the tip of your index finger so that it sticks to it. Pull down your lower lid and place it just to the left or right of center. Then, depending on how loose your lids are, you may have to do some jockeying to keep it snugly in there. Some people have a harder time than others with this - I was one of them.

Anyway, I really hope you start to feel better soon. It is horrible feeling that the problem won't go away. But, at least you'll have people who have some inkling of the pain you are going through to talk to here. I know it isn't much but we are here for you and will try to help you any way we can.

Comment

Steph,
        My doctor had me try lacriserts and I love them!! They have changed my life.. I no longer have to use drops during the day-even when I am on the computer all day long ( I work in a call center) and believe me I have extrememly dry eyes... One of my plugs fell out a few weeks ago and I had to immediately go to the doc the next morning to get one put in.. that is how dry i am --sjogrens and mgd and ocular rosacea.

Anyway, I was skeptical at first but i love them. It is so freeing to not have to put drops in every 10 minutes or so. they bathe my eyes.. It's not to say I still don't have an occasional really bad dry eye day-but they make is so much more comfortable.

I would def give them a try. Let me know if you do and what you think! Also, make sure your doc shows you the easy way to insert them by using rewetting drops on the little spatula and barely touching the lacrisert to put it in your eyes!
        Jenny

Comment

It's harmless to try, as it dissolves within a day and has no long term commitment. I did not like them. They burned my eyes and caused very blurry vision. I couldn't wait until they dissolved! Back to "normal" the next day.

Comment

Lacriserts seem to pop up here from time to time.

They are a bit like most things, some people like them, some loathe them.

I found they were very difficult to get inserted and made my eyes feel really gooey and I couldn't wait to get them out.

You can either let them dissolve or there is a way to remove them (safely) if you want them out.

I agree it is worth a try, you never know, they could be perfect for you.

Best wishes

Ian

Comment

Working...
            X