Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lubricating Drops and Redness - Just Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubricating Drops and Redness - Just Me?

Does anyone find that their eyes get more red when they instill lubricating drops? I have ocular rosacea and everytime I go to use PF drops, Genteal gel, etc. (and I have tried nearly ALL brands incl. Dr. Holley's -- you know us desperate dry eye folks!), they will get red in my "dry spots" (nasal side of the whites of my eyes) within 30 minutes of instillation. I feel like I really need the drops, but it's become a double-edged sword. Oh, and I should mention that I'm only using a few drops a day, not over-dropping. I don't get it!!!

Who can relate and anyone want to take a stab at why this might happen?? I've also tried months on Doxy and Restasis (compounded too) to no avail... and steroid drops don't touch me. Boo!

Curly

I don't get reddness but I don't seem to do well on any drops either and like you I have tried them all....wouldn't it be so nice to find a drop that we can use to get relief? Aggh!

Comment

The same thing happens..

to me - my eyes get more red after using drops. Sometimes I can't decide if they feel better with or without them. With, they burn and feel inflamed, without they feel bone dry. (I have Ocular Rosacea too.) It's really a PITA. Mine actually feel best when using an ointment (Refresh PM) at night --although I know many here don't recommend using them.

Comment

Originally posted by curlygrl31 View Post
        Does anyone find that their eyes get more red when they instill lubricating drops? I have ocular rosacea and everytime I go to use PF drops, Genteal gel, etc. (and I have tried nearly ALL brands incl. Dr. Holley's -- you know us desperate dry eye folks!), they will get red in my "dry spots" (nasal side of the whites of my eyes) within 30 minutes of instillation. I feel like I really need the drops, but it's become a double-edged sword. Oh, and I should mention that I'm only using a few drops a day, not over-dropping. I don't get it!!!

Who can relate and anyone want to take a stab at why this might happen?? I've also tried months on Doxy and Restasis (compounded too) to no avail... and steroid drops don't touch me. Boo!

Curly
        You are saying only the bedtime use drops, or for all daytime eye drops?

you must stop the eye's irritation first. Lubricant drops don't help when irrition is occuring.

Comment

I can relate to all of the above...no drops have ever improved how my eyes feel, and only make them feel more irritated and gritty. I confess I haven't tried the Dr Holly drops - but that's the only reason - however I have tried dozens of different types and always had the same reaction.

Ointments...don't even talk about them!

The only cause I can think of is that my eyes became hyper-sensitive by over-frequent examinations (with all the anesthetic and fluorescein drops administered during them) during the initial stage of my problem, when I had shingles....

My solution is to do very frequent compresses (3-4 daily) to keep the meibomians fluid and flowing, obviously lid cleaning (with boiled water) and regular expression by my optometrist. Plus omega 3s.

I think there are quite a few of us on here with similar problems re drops.

Comment

I have not used any drops for about a week/week and half, and I think my eyes are better actually! My eyes do not seem as dry as they were when I was using systane, theratears, etc. I am sure this varies from person to person, but that is the situation for me.

Comment

Some drops sting (even PF tears) and my eyes get red for a second and then clear up again, while Theratears PF tears seems to be the perfect formula for my eyes - when I put a drop in it feels wonderful and my eyes get WHITE WHITE compared to how they normally are. Doesn't last long though

Comment

Working...
              X