FreshKote Price Increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreshKote Price Increase

I just refilled my Rx, and the cash price (not covered by insurance) went up from $30.23 to $38.99 (at Walgreen's). I'm going to call the manufacturer and ask if they increased the price as of the first of the year. And I'll check the Walmart price. It was kind of a shock, and I hate paying that much. It makes me really stingy about using the drops. This is a good thing in a way, since using them too much makes my eyes uncomfortable. I'm fortunate enough not to need them continually---I can get by with only 2-3 times per day.

Calli

Hi, Calli.

Thank you for that information. I was wondering what it cost, because once I run out of Dwelle, I am going to talk with my doctor about getting a prescription for Freshkote. I am afraid to try and wait it out with nothing. I've also considered trying Muro 128 5% if worse comes to worse.

Let us know what you find out about the price. It's hard to know if the terms of our insurance change or if it is the actual price of the prescription that changes.

Thanks, again,
    Liz

Comment

I asked at Walmart this morning, and it was about $35--something. Now I can't remember the exact number. But it was lower than the $38.99 at Walgreen's.

I still think it's worth it. The more I use FreshKote, the better it works for me. I don't mean more times a day, I mean duration in terms of months.

Just the ease of getting it---over having to have a Dwelle substitute compounded---it's worth it. This first time you get it, the pharmacy has to order it---usually comes the next day. After that, hopefully, they stock it for when you come in for a refill.

The only downside for me is having to hear the doctors' comments: "Well, OK, if that's what you want. I don't see how it's any different from OTC drops...".

C
      Last edited by calli66; 25-Jan-2009, 18:48.

Comment

I get my Rx...

for Freshkote two months ago at Walgreens and it was $40.00. My insurance did not cover any of it. Prices must vary a bit by location or something...

My doctor said the same thing. "I'll write you the Rx but it's nothing more then an expensive OTC drop".

My doc happens to have dry eye too and said if "I thought they'd work, I'd use them too."

Unfortunately for me, they have not helped at all and actually make my eyes feel worse. I'm glad they are working for you though.
        Last edited by alisonW; 25-Jan-2009, 17:40. Reason: typos

Comment

My doc had never even heard of Freshkote. They went online to research and called my pharmacy to get any more information on it. She also said to me..."we dont get samples of it, so we've never heard of it or used it before." Just what I suspected...doc office's only push the drugs they're getting something from. Good news is...they were willing to write me the prescription today, and are excited to see my results. They seem very willing to try anything to help their dry eye patients. So, I'll begin Freshkote this weekend...wish me luck!

On a separate note...I also recently switched to organic shampoos, as my eyes would get worse and super red when I got out of the shower. I noticed an immediate difference in the redness. Any shampoo with Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS) is never going to touch my eye again.

Comment

This is just insanity.

We can buy the same product (rebadged as Clinitas Ultra 3) here in the UK, OTC and it costs approx £7 (approx US$10-$11)

Normally in the UK we crave drops that are not available here. In this instance I am happy that I can get this one for a reasonable price as we don't have access to Dwelle and the rest of them.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Just want to say that I love FreshKote and it is the only thing that has worked as far as eyedrops go. I have a pharmacy's worth of useless brands.

Currently, I have three bottles of FreshKote going - one in the purse, and one for each bathroom. Seems to help. Not a cure, but it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jsalad View Post
                They seem very willing to try anything to help their dry eye patients. So, I'll begin Freshkote this weekend...wish me luck!
                That is excellent - one of the most important qualities to find in a doc. Best of luck! High oncotic pressure drops as many have posted here can take awhile to show the full benefits but when they do it's really something.

I also recently switched to organic shampoos, as my eyes would get worse and super red when I got out of the shower. I noticed an immediate difference in the redness. Any shampoo with Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS) is never going to touch my eye again.
                Awesome and thanks for posting this!
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca, thanks for reminding me that the drops may take a while to work. I'm hoping I see something quickly, but I'll try to be patient. Since my doc didnt know anything about them...how long is long enough to wait before giving up on spending the money?

I'm also using Restasis for 3 months and dont really see a change. In fact, I sometimes think they're drying my eyes out even more? I'm very tempted to stop using that....but planned on trying for 6 months before I give up on it.

On a similar note...have you read that fine print in Restasis that talks about the testing they've done? It mentions that they've seen no increase in tear production with use of punctal plugs. What the hell is that all about? That's another reason I've thought about giving up on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X