Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Allergic to Eyedrops Used In Ophthalmologist's Office?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Allergic to Eyedrops Used In Ophthalmologist's Office?

Hi,

Since September, 2008, after every visit to an Ophthalmologist, I would get various degrees (moderate to severe) of eyelid inflammation, pain redness, and watery eyes that would result in some form of conjunctivitis and/or iritis. I think I maybe allergic to the dilating/numbing/dye drops that are used when I have an examination. I would appreciate it very much if anybody could give me feedback about whether they have had similar experiences as the one I described above. Thanks.

I am not sure I have ever reacted to the drops, but the black rubber on the exam gadget thingy. Yes.
    Funny, I had a bunch of contact allergy tests done, and found out I was allergic to my favorite drop. They always felt good going in, but I guess I had been having a delayed reaction. Never would have guessed it was my drops.

BTW, black rubber is a common allergen affecting the eyes and lids. I get allergic conjunctivitis just from rubbing my eyes after touching escalator handrails.

Comment

Yes, the yellow numbing drops often cause allergic reactions - especially in people with rosacea. My eyes get itchy and dry for a few hours afterward.

Comment

yes again, very common indeed. I sometimes react for a day or two...sometimes for weeks......best avoided.

Comment

What is in those yellow numbing drops? I have the same experience with them. I feel that the eye doctors have inevitably made my condition worse. Azasite did me in, and I don't think I have recovered. Is it the BAK. I have occular rosacea.

Melissa
          pianolady

Comment

the yellow itself is fluorescein dye...which in itself can cause problems, but I've had it put in with pure saline and didn;t have a problem.

the major problems are caused by the numbing agents....the anaesthetic is toxic...I have that info from the doc himself!

and the more often you have them put in - the more exams you have - the worse it gets. So try to avoid.

Comment

Very good to know. Thanks!
              pianolady

Comment

Hi,

I appreciate very much all the feedback to the question I posted about allergies to eyedrops used in the Ophthalmologist office. Unfortunately, I have had very severe dry eyes, since June 2008, mainly due to an underlying disease called Lupus. I see an eye doctor in New York who specializes in ocular immunology because I also have had iritis (inflammation of the uvea) twice. I am currently using Rastasis for the dry eye condition, although so far I don't see any improvement. If the Restasis does not work, I can then try serum tears and/or the Boston Sceral lenses. I was wondering what the members do for severe photosensivity to the sunlight and or artificial light? I have a very small face and would appreciate any recommendations for sunglasses that would fit my face and help protect against the sunlight. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X