First day with Lacrisert's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

My Lacriserts arrived this morning.........my first shot will be tonight when I get home. Really looking forward to trying them.

It will be my right eye only (the problem eye), which is a blessing because I'm in the UK and had to pay through the nose to import them.

Ian.

Comment

Hi all,

Well I've tried them twice, as follows:-

On the day I got them, about 6pm I popped one in my right eye. About 40 mins I started to notice some slight blurring in my eye. Also I noticed that my eye was getting a little sore, where the lacrisert was.
      Pulled my lid forward in front of the mirror to have a look and saw that the tiny lacrisert had ballooned up. Probably the size I thought.
      Anyways, did notice that the normal eye pain I get was not as bad as usual.
      Around 4hrs in I removed it.
      Verdict = Looks like they work, but there are side effects so not too sure!

Next morning I had a brainwave, I cut a lacrisert in half and poped one in my eye and went off to work.
      Whilst it wasn't as bad as yesterday I was still getting some pain from the lacrisert, and some blurring. Again not as bad as yesterday.
      About 4 hrs in I removed it.

I'll try again................maybe cut the lacrisert into 3.

Ian.

Comment

I saw my OD today and asked for Laciserts. She's not very excited about and worries that the foreign body in the wrong place could damage my cornea. She asked me to try yet another drop first, Soothe XP. I'll give it a shot but am not very hopeful especially after reading posts about it here. It's obvious though that what works for one may not work for another, I have a whole drawer full of drops that I hear others praise but don't work at all for me.
        Systane Ultra preservative free vials are the only thing that continues t ogive me any positive results, I'm still playing with Dwelle too.
        Today's TBUT =<1 sec and she said if the Schrimers showed anything it would be a false due to eye irritation from the test strips.
        "In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer"
        -Albert Camus

Comment

Lacrisert day 1

I saw a new OD yesterday in Renton WA, Paul Jensen.
          I walked out feeling much better. My eyes were the same or worse because of the examination but I had something I haven't had for some time, hope.

When I asked him about Lacriserts he told me he prescribes them often. When I asked about the discomfort some people experience he told me he has tried them himself and found them very tolerable. How cool is that when your clinician tries the very thing he prescribes?

I am trying them now and because my vision is rather poor at times I couldn't tell if I actually got it in to the pocket or dropped it in the sink. I couldn't feel it there either so just didn't know, I finally manipulated my lower lid wher I though it should be and it came right out.

Wow. I'm not sure how effective it's going to be but I have no additional discomfort so far whatsoever. I think proper insertion is key.

I'm trying to be more conscious in my posts to break up paragraphs and use a bit larger font now. DET has been a lifesaver for me but somtimes things are so bad I can't hardly read it.

-Ric
          "In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer"
          -Albert Camus

Comment

I've never tried them, but 2 women in my Sjogren's support group starting using them last year, and they really like them.

Hope they work out for you.

C

Comment

Ric,

The lacriserts really worked for me when I was at my worst. I tell you this to give you hope. I used the lacriserts and started the restasis at the same time.

The lacriserts worked well and allowed me to get through my afternoons without dropping every hour and half. In fact, I didin't need to drop at all while using them.

They definitely helped with the burning sensation as well. After about three months of use, I noticed that I could go through the day without them, although uncomfortable. I then upped the restasis to three times a day.

At about 5-6 months, I cut the restasis to 2 times a day, and this is where I am at currently. I am not always comfortable, but I feel I am forcing my eyes to relearn to make tears.

I know the restasis has helped to cut down the inflammation as well. However, I do believe that the lacriserts helped to reteach my eye to be wet, something it had not been for a long time. The package says that they can help to restore tear film.

They worked for me, and I pray that they will help you as well.

Best wishes,
              Melissa
              pianolady

Comment

Thanks Melissa, that's encouraging.

I've been using them in my worse eye for 4 days. I put one in yesterday a few hours before I went to bed and when I woke up and checked on it in an hour or so it seemed like although it had gotten larger and disipated some, about 80% of the original mass remained.

I'm wondering if I don't have enough tears to activate these properly. A sponge in the desert isn't going to change much.

The good news is that I'm tolerating them well and no huge additional discomfort.
                I'm doing steroids 8 times a day now, every 2 waking hours. I've noticed a bit of mucous building up in the corner of my eyes again. That hasn't happened in a long time, in fact, nothing has came out of them in a long time so I'll take this as a positive sign.

-Ric
                -Albert Camus

Comment

I have given up on Lacriserts.

Because I have additional lacrimal gland problem in my right eye as well as Bleph, I find the lacriserts isn't getting lubricated enough and my eye goes a bit red and with discomfort.
                  I also notice that the lacrisert swells up. I just get the feeling that it needs a certain amount of hydration to work and disolve properly.....and thats not what I am getting.
                  I think they would be ok for folks with bleph only.

However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm glad I tried.

Ian.

Comment

Lacriserts and Restasis

I started using Restasis about 4 years ago with some moderate success. I also had to use Purlilube (similar to Refresh PM but less expensive) in addition to the Restasis. I had to use the ointment at least every 30 minutes and sometimes more often.

My doctor gave me a prescription for Lacriserts about a month ago, and I started to use it with the Restasis. I LOVE this stuff! Like a lot of you, there was a stinging/burning sensation for the first couple of days. Actually, for the first hour or two after I insert them now, I have a little bit of an uncomfortable sensation until they melt down a little, but not uncomfortable enough to be discouraged. The longer I use them, the more comfortable my eyes are, just as their website describes.

I just had eyelid surgery because I had eyelid ptosis (my eyelids were covering half of my pupil) and my opthalmologist, along with my surgeon, who is a plastic surgeon and an opthalmologist, were very concerned that my dry eyes would get a lot worse. I am happy to report, that due to the Lacriserts, my confort level is the best it has been in years! I can now see clearly (and drive at night again!).

I just wanted to add to the discussion about Lacriserts because they don't seem to be that well known and they are worth trying. I also want to suggest that if you are not using Restasis, you might want to give that a try also. The combination of the two prescriptions seems to have done the trick for me.

Best of luck to everyone.

Darlene

Comment

I, too, am having problems with the lacriserts

I have tried the lacriserts for a few days, and they are irritating to my eyes. Cause me to have symptoms of having a cold, or allergies. Finally had to remove them. I think you might be right about needing some moisture for them to work. Mine were very dry looking and swollen. So disappointed. Was really hoping this would help me.
                      Originally posted by IanJ View Post
                      I have given up on Lacriserts.

Because I have additional lacrimal gland problem in my right eye as well as Bleph, I find the lacriserts isn't getting lubricated enough and my eye goes a bit red and with discomfort.
                      I also notice that the lacrisert swells up. I just get the feeling that it needs a certain amount of hydration to work and disolve properly.....and thats not what I am getting.
                      I think they would be ok for folks with bleph only.

However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm glad I tried.

Ian.

Comment

Working...
                      X