This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rohto Dry Eye Drops

Okay...I know that some things work for some, while other things work for others (doesn't that sound profound? )

Anyway I have been using the new Dry Eye formula from Rohto...and although I am certainly not cured..I have had some temporary relief like I have not had since I contracted this awful syndrome.

Not only that...I have seen some residual improvement lasting hours, whereas before I had none while using other drops, warm compresses, etc.

This stuff burns like fire when I first put in the drops..but it then settles into a cooling refreshed feeling (sounding like a commercial now).

Has anyone had any positive (or negative) results with these eye drops? I'm starting my second bottle (0.4 fl.oz. each and about $9 in the drug stores).

Rohto has other eye drops for allergies, redness, etc. but even some of the pharmacists I spoke with had not heard of the DRY EYE formula.

Looking forward to any other reviews or testimonials...good or bad.

Thanks,

Larry

Rohto is preserved with BAK so... I'm afraid it's not safe to use this regularly or long term. (Or is there an unpreserved version I'm not aware of?)
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

The ingredients listed are as follows:

Active Ingredient: Hypromellose 0.3%

Inactive Ingredients: alginic acid, boric acid, menthol, polyaminopropyl biguanide, polysorbate 80, potassium chloride, purified water, sodium borate, sodium cloride, sodium chondroitin sulfate

Pardon my ignorance, but which of these is the BAK preservative?

Thanks,

Larry

Comment

I am assuming boric acid is the preservative. I would not use often.

Comment

You mean Rohto Zi?

The only Rohto product I see (on their own website) not using BAK is Rohto V Ice which has a redness reliever which is also nasty.
          Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

When my eyes were hurting a few months before I started getting erosions, I tried Rhoto, and I loved their packaging and how they felt. However, I found that when I used them often, my eyes felt worse, so I went off of them after just a day or so. It was probably the BAK in them that made them bother me after a few uses.

--Liz

Comment

Originally posted by eyehurt View Post
              Hi Rebecca,

The ingredients listed are as follows:

Active Ingredient: Hypromellose 0.3%

Inactive Ingredients: alginic acid, boric acid, menthol, polyaminopropyl biguanide, polysorbate 80, potassium chloride, purified water, sodium borate, sodium cloride, sodium chondroitin sulfate

Pardon my ignorance, but which of these is the BAK preservative?

Thanks,

Larry

Sorry, but still unclear as to which of the ingredients above make up BAK. I took all of the ingredient info from the box. Could someone please clarify? I have been using these drops PRN for about 3 weeks with no exacerbation of symptoms...and a good deal of relief. Also, I haven't ever tried any other Rohto products...just the new Dry Eye formula.

Thanks,

Larry

Comment

Hi,

Look for Benzalkonium Chloride, listed under Inactive Ingredients (preservative).

Like brd888 notes, it is in all but one type of Rhoto's eye drop line.

--Liz

Comment

Thanks Liz...

So from what I have read Benzalkonium chloride (BAK) is NOT an ingredient in the Rohto Dry Eye formula..at least it is not listed anywhere on the box.

brd888 referred to Rohto V Ice....so maybe the Dry Eye formula is also BAK free?

A question arises as to just how new this Dry Eye Rohto is?

Sorry to be so persistent, but I am very exited for ANY relief at this point..and just want to pass on anything which might help someone else.

Larry

Comment

The only dry eye Rohto product I've ever seen is a povidone drop with BAK. Clearly what you've got is quite different (different active and different preservative).

Hard to understand why they don't have this product on their own website?

I just did some googling and I found info about Rohto Hydra on Facebook... that must be it (can you check your bottle?)
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Yes Rebecca...it's says "hydra" on the front of the box. I found mine at a Walgreens pharmacy here in Fort Worth, Texas. Funny but Walmart and Target did not have this Dry Eye formula..only the redness and allergy formulas which I have no use for anyway.

Larry

Comment

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the hydroxyethyl cellulose (or something close to that, I tossed the box and its not on the bottle) as a lubricant?

It is not listed on the main page of DEZ, but could be another name for hydroxypropyl methylcellulose / hypromellose. However, I know a thing or two about chemistry, and it appears to be a different molecule based on the name. I tried to find the new Rohto product on the web, but can only find the old version discussed in the original posting.

Any thoughts on this lubricant as compared to others? I tried the new drops, and they seem to work OK, but too early to tell. Obviously the main difference is the menthol cooling effect upon administration.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X