Patadol or Pataday for MGD/Blepharitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patadol or Pataday for MGD/Blepharitis

Does anyone think these drops would work for MGD/Bleph to keep my eye from watering all the time. It doesn't itch -- just waters.

They are both for allergy, so unless you have allergies in your eyes, I don't see that there would be a benefit. I've used Patanol on the rare occasions when my eyes itch, and it does work for the itching.

You could try it and just see if it helps, although unless your insurance covers these drops they are really expensive.
    Last edited by magoo; 18-Nov-2009, 12:11. Reason: add info

Comment

Try Patanol first - Pataday is twice the strength and can cause irritation. Both are the same medication; Patanol is used 2 times per day, Pataday is used once.

Comment

gz9gjg, I found that to be true, also. I've used both and Pataday did seem to be irritating, I never knew why til now. Thanks

Comment

patanol does help with itching, but if you have reflex tearing from the dryness irritation, it might make it worse, as it dries the eye "a bit". I am saying a bit, because for me i can feel the drying effect quite distinctly, so i put them in only when i have itching. Others have not noticed drying side effect to a great extent; but it is definitely there, so i would not recommend using these drops on a daily basis.

Comment

I'm on Pataday right now with no problems.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
              I'm on Pataday right now with no problems.
              Dear Rebecca,

Do you know whether antihistamine drops always have a drying side effect or it depends on the patient's type of dry eye, or may be the type of eye drop? i do find some benefit from patanol, despite the slightly drying effect which i experience.What makes Patanol a safer drop for dry eyes than other anti-allergy drops?

Comment

Originally posted by ringo View Post
                patanol does help with itching, but if you have reflex tearing from the dryness irritation, it might make it worse, as it dries the eye "a bit". I am saying a bit, because for me i can feel the drying effect quite distinctly, so i put them in only when i have itching. Others have not noticed drying side effect to a great extent; but it is definitely there, so i would not recommend using these drops on a daily basis.
                This is where I am confused -- yes I do have reflex tearing but wouldn't something that "dries" the eye be a good thing so it wouldn't tear.

Comment

Because you are tearing as a result of irritation from dryness (that is , lack of basal tears, lubricating tears, not reflex tears), if you are taking something that further reduces the amount of those good lubricating tears and increases the dryness, then obviously the reflex tearing might increase.

Comment

Originally posted by ringo View Post
                    Dear Rebecca,

Do you know whether antihistamine drops always have a drying side effect or it depends on the patient's type of dry eye, or may be the type of eye drop? i do find some benefit from patanol, despite the slightly drying effect which i experience.What makes Patanol a safer drop for dry eyes than other anti-allergy drops?
                    I'm afraid I really don't know the answer to any of these but I would expect that allergy drops are no exception to other drugs when it comes to variability of response.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                    X