Oral vs. topical doxycycline??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral vs. topical doxycycline??

Can any of you guys expound on why the medical community prefers oral doxy in varying dosages (40mg-200mg, daily) over topical doxy eyedrops, which are available from compounding pharmacies?

Is there any scientific evidence that says doxy tablets are BETTER/absorbed more effectively than a drop applied directly to the eye? The logic of this issue escapes me!

Thanks, Rob

I don't know if there is any evidence for oral doxy being better, but in my experience, only one doc I've been to (Dr. Latkany) knew that doxy actually came in eyedrops. All other docs (8 to be exact), told me that there is no such thing as doxy eyedrops, until I would inform them of compounding pharmacies. So I'm wondering if it could just be that docs don't know about the existence doxy eyedrops?

Comment

This just raises further questions, but I've read that Oxytetracycline and polymyxin B ophthalmic ointment is available with a prescription under the brand names Terak Ointment and Terramycin with Polymyxin B Ointment. However, when I looked it up, it appears that Terak is no longer in production by Akorn Pharmaceticals.

Does anyone know anything about these ointments?

Comment

Nothing to do with doxy specifically, IMHO. I think >95% of the docs don't know about any of these things available from compounding pharmacies, and of the remainder that do, they'd still rather prescribe a known, approved drug albeit for an offlabel use for which there may or may not be any evidence than an unknown unapproved drug, again regardless of the evidence. How many of them have actually studied the evidence is anybody's guess. I suspect folks like us are more likely to do that than the average eye doctor who has a lot of other diseases to think about. Which is why we all get to undertake the pleasant responsbility of educating them.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you, all.

Comment

doxiciclyna e candidiasis

Hi,
            I suffer from MGD, eyes very dry.
            I took the oral doxiclyclina for 3 times and gave me severe oral candidiasis.
            What do you do in these cases?
            vanna

Comment

Working...
            X