NSAIDS (Acuvail) make dry eyes worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSAIDS (Acuvail) make dry eyes worse?

Does anyone know if NSAIDS can make dry eyes worse? if so, does it go away?

My doc had me on Nevanac-it helped at first-but the BAK preservative messed up my tear film stability. I didn't take it for 3-4 days-my eyes still feel horrible. I was prescribed Acuvail (non preserved) and it helps for a few hours but I am worried it might make me dry..

Any responses! Please. thank you!
    Jenny

I would think that your eyes should recover from the BAK irritation eventually...

Regarding the non-preserved one making your eyes dry, I don't know the answer to that one...

Comment

I have also used Nevanac in the past and now I am using Acuvail. I have been using Acuvail for a little over a month now and I do think it helps. The only side effect it has for me is that it burns right upon instillation.

As far as whether it makes the eyes drier I am really not sure. The only thing I can say is that I used Nevanac for about 3 years and now I am using Acuvail and for me I think it makes my eyes less irritated because it keeps the inflammation down. It might be worth it to stick with it for a couple of weeks just to give it a fair trial, unless of course you are convinced it is not helping you.

Comment

I just started the Acuvail.. it definitely helps when i hurt...I don't know if it makes me drier....probably not... not sure..

I stopped the Nevanac Sat-had been on it for 3 weeks or so... at first i loved it but noticed my eyes got considerably drier... My doc thinks it is the BAK... I know when I tried Azasite for my MGD i got worse due to the BAK in it... I can't even use lotemax.. i have to non -preserved from Leiters...

I guess I will keep trying the Acuvail... at least it is preservative free... I read studies online how it does help sjogrens people like me-with the pain.. i was just concerned how some sites say that NSAIDS can harm dry eye and the tear film.. always something..

thank you both for responding!!!
        Jenny

Comment

I think they might be referring to Ibuprofen or Aspirin when they talk about NSAID's that may cause dry eyes. My eyes are noticeably drier the day after I take these medications. Luckily, I don't think the eye drops have this effect.

Comment

Nevanac irritation

I could not tolerate Nevanac. It caused intense burning. The doctor said that I was a NSAID responder. Results will differ from patient-to-patient. I did read, however, that prolonged use of topical NSAIDs can eventually thin the cornea in some patients. Had basically the same reaction with Azasite anti-bacterial drops prescribed for posterior blepharitis.

Comment

Working...
            X