Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What has been your experience with Patanol prescription drops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has been your experience with Patanol prescription drops?

Considering these drops to alleviate my dry eye symptoms, but first want to know what experience others have had with them.

Patanol is used for allergic symptoms in the eyes, primarily itching. I have DES and eye allergy symptoms. Patanol relieved the itching nicely; however, it did nothing for my other DES symptoms. As I recall, dry eye symptoms are a side effect of Patanol so be careful that you don't flare your DES by using it.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I completely agree with Kitty. My experience has been exactly the same. I wouldn't expect Patanol to improve dry at all. In fact, as Kitty suggested, it may exacerbate it.

Originally posted by kitty View Post
      Patanol is used for allergic symptoms in the eyes, primarily itching. I have DES and eye allergy symptoms. Patanol relieved the itching nicely; however, it did nothing for my other DES symptoms. As I recall, dry eye symptoms are a side effect of Patanol so be careful that you don't flare your DES by using it.

Comment

Patanol made my dry eyes worse. I think they're designed more for watery eyes that itch.

Comment

Ok, thanks everyone! Food for thought. I have been using the drops, sporadically to get me through allergy season, and they're really helping with the itch but I hate to think they could be making my dry eye worse. Will bring it up with my optometrist.

Comment

R Hector

to help reduce the itching, the safest rx is preservative free tears that have been refrigerated. Elestat is a prescription drop that is also worth a try. or Acuvail, it is a prescription anti inflammatory but you can get it unpreserved.

Comment

I've been on Pataday drops (1x in the am) for about 3-4 weeks now and don't notice any improvement in my allergy symptoms. Still super bloodshoot and itchy and red. Although I suppose the last few days the itchiness has been less.

I wish there were a preservative free drop I could get...I have an apptment tomorrow and I'm going to ask.

Comment

Have you tried Elestat? I had no luck with Patanol for my allergy--Patanol made my eyes worse and even more bloodshot. Elestat started to work for me in about a week. You can get it "preservative free" through Leiters. It's not completely preservative free--but they can reduce the preservative to a negligible amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy_NJ View Post
                  Have you tried Elestat? I had no luck with Patanol for my allergy--Patanol made my eyes worse and even more bloodshot. Elestat started to work for me in about a week. You can get it "preservative free" through Leiters. It's not completely preservative free--but they can reduce the preservative to a negligible amount.
                  I have an apptment with my eye doc in the am and would like to ask him about this. Does he order it? Will he know about Leiters (is this common practice?) or do I need to bring him details on that?

Comment

I find that Patonal helps a little bit with the redness I often get in my eyes but that it does seem to agitate my eyes a bit and does dry them out somewhat. So many drops out there that relieve different symptoms related to dry eye but does'nt seem to be one that can completely eliminate them all.

Comment

Nanerpus: You doctor may or may not know about compunding drops (most don't). Just give him or her the contract information for Leiter's and he or she can call it in for you. The Rx will ship directly to your house. http://www.leiterrx.com

Comment

Working...
                      X