Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Drugs in the Pipeline

/////////////////////
    Last edited by hankm9; 06-Sep-2016, 07:29.

thank you for this! This is so interesting and helpful. I'm curious to how this will be affective for dry eye patients.

Comment

It sounds like a rival to Restasis. We hope it works better and for more people, and if it is not asking too much, also faster. Thanks for the links.
      Last edited by bakunin; 24-Oct-2012, 04:08.

Comment

They just completed a Phase 3 trial for Liftgraste. They found positive results.
        Any indication of its application in MGD?

Or is it another restasis with simular action?
        I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Originally posted by sazy123 View Post
          They just completed a Phase 3 trial for Liftgraste. They found positive results.
          Any indication of its application in MGD?

Or is it another restasis with simular action?
          http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/23/493...-positive.html
          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Thank you for posting this hankm9!

Comment

yes thank you!!!! i love hearing something positive..yeah!
              Jenny

Comment

While I've been a Restasis user for many years, I would welcome an alternative.
                My Dry Eye Story:
                http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...7575#post47575

Comment

It is very encouraging to hear that a treatment for dry eyes is being persued! When restasis fails for so many of us, it leaves us with few options. I'm hoping that this new drug is successful for many, without the adverse effects restasis had for me, and others. Dry eyes has effected my life so much, it's great to hear something good. Thank you for posting.

Comment

I just have one question. How does this eye drop differ from restasis? In a similar way, restasis attempts to interrupt the inflammatory cascade as well. Does this drop do a better job? The same job? I don't know, personally, I have more hope in RGN-259 because it contains a peptide that actually works to heal the surface of the eye. In my opinion, medications like restasis are nothing more than temporary band-aids for a disease that is often progressive in nature.

Comment

Haha literally though I bet when some pharmaceutical companies read the phrase "healing properties" in the RGN-259 article they probably get worried, doctors too. I mean first its azasite, then its asazite PLUS, ha its like they are just baiting us a little further with each research "breakthrough." Testosterone/DHEA has been shown to have a significant effect on eye gland functions, but where are those drops/gels at? Mysteriously you just can't find them. And don't even get me started on stem cells. There are plenty of universities doing research on stem cells, there was one I was reading the other day about a Harvard researcher trying to rejuvenate lacrimal glands with a certain type of stem cell. Ha if that researcher has success in her experiments, wouldn't be surprised if she gets a call from Restasis the next morning offering to "buy the patent" a.k.a "Hey good work now don't mention this to what happened here to anybody." I'm not saying any of this is the truth, just how I personally feel about the healthcare situation here in the states.

Comment

http://www.ophthalmologymanagement.c...ticleid=104917

The EGP-437 seems to be the one with the closest drug to the goal. The phase 3 trials for it have been completed. I don't know if they've been successful but I've read elsewhere that this product might come out end of 2013.

I sure hope something comes out that helps all of us suffering so much...

Comment

Originally posted by kandykane1544 View Post
                          I just have one question. How does this eye drop differ from restasis? In a similar way, restasis attempts to interrupt the inflammatory cascade as well. Does this drop do a better job? The same job? I don't know, personally, I have more hope in RGN-259 because it contains a peptide that actually works to heal the surface of the eye. In my opinion, medications like restasis are nothing more than temporary band-aids for a disease that is often progressive in nature.
                          I agree with you. I think Sar11 is another restasis with better tolerence.

Something that heals the surface will be great if your issues stem from surface damage etc (aka serum drops and prokera).

But if your issues stem mainly from MGD and eyelid issues, drops- dont really penetrate into the eyelids and the surface doesnt need to be healed. In this instance, CF101 (a pill which blocks the inflammatory reponse) seems like it would be the most benificial. A thicker drop that penetrates the eyelids would be good.

Comment

CF101 sounds promising. I understand they are currently doing phase 3 of the trial?

Comment

Summary of products in trials (1/15/2013):
                              http://www.revoptom.com/content/c/38714/ (Scroll down to the bottom of the page to find this article:

A Glimpse at Dry Eye Drugs in the Pipeline
                              By Katherine M. Mastrota, MS, OD

It has been more than a decade since the first and only dry eye prescription medication, Restasis, received FDA approval. And while pharmaceutical companies have had tremendously limited success bringing a new drug to the US market, excitement is now brewing as we anticipate the approval of several new therapeutic agents for dry eye disease within the next few years.

Other Potential Dry Eye Drugs in the Pipeline

• Cyclokat (0.1% cyclosporine A cationic emulsion, Novagali Pharma)
                              • Restasis X (0.1% cyclosporine A, Allergan)
                              • CP-690560 (tofacitinib, Pfizer)
                              • LX214 (voclosporin, Isotechnika Inc./Lux Biosciences Inc.)
                              • ISV-101 (bromfenac in DuraSite vehicle, InSite Vision)

Currently, there more than a dozen novel, innovative drugs in FDA trials. Any one of these medications could be the next big breakthrough product used to treat your dry eye patients. Here is a review of the most promising dry eye medications across various phases of development:
                              (see article for full listing and status)

Comment

Working...
                              X