Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANYONE IN THE UK BEEN ABLE TO GET DOXY EYE DROPS?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANYONE IN THE UK BEEN ABLE TO GET DOXY EYE DROPS?

I've been on doxycycline a few times but never longer than 2 months as I get bad gastro related side effects. I've never really felt the doxy has helped tremendously but my doctor said my eyes physically improved ever so slightly when I was on doxycycline. I came off the tablets last weekend after feeling sick with them and since then my eyes have been worse than when I started on doxycycline. I want to get hold of the drops just so I can try the antibiotic long term and see if it will make a difference. Has anyone been able to get hold of it through compounding pharmacies in the uk???

What is your doxycycline dosage? Unless you have a problem with bacteria, your doctor is probably prescribing doxycycline for its anti inflammatory effect. To get the anti inflammatory effect you only need 20 to 50 mg/day which is lower than the typical dose for antibiotic effects: 100 to 200 mg. The lower dose is much easier on your body.

I haven't heard of doxycycline being used as an eye drop. There are other antibiotic eye drops though.

Comment

Thank you sunflower 7.
      I take 100mg per day . I've heard 20 mg is enough to be suitable. Is this actually likely to decrease most side effects

Comment

if your having issues with doxy there are two other abx that can be helpful for dry eye, (i cant recall the spelling) but i think its something like minocycline and Azomethine? maybe you could ask to try something new.
        People have recovered, so can we.
        www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Thank you waterbee I will look into the see if I can try them

Comment

you could also (if you could afford it) look into doing low dose immunotherapy so you can cope with doxy, (if you think it helps) im told its great and can be used for many things (allergies ect) its something im now looking at doing in the future.
            ps) you might want to look at getting a mega strong probiotic for a month (something with a huge amount of variety, not the basic stuff ) or so then trying doxy again? as these make a huge difference to how the body reacts to abx.
            People have recovered, so can we.
            www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Yes I might get probiotics! Think I will try s smaller dose of doxy first see how I go with that

Comment

UK has Azyter (topical Azithromycin) -- I've had a lot of good luck with this. Too bad not available in Canada...

Comment

Working...
                X