X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHEA drops STINGING/BURNING TREMENDOUSLY

Hi!

I have written on another post on here about DHEA drops, but I wanted to start a new one specific to burning/stinging upon application of the DHEA drops.

I started using 1% DHEA drops exactly one month ago. I was told to use them 2x/day. I still can't really tell if they are helping, but I think they are (how do we ever really know unless we go off of it for awhile and notice a big change...that is what I feel about all of the dry eye treatments since it is such a complex issue). I digress.

Anyway, initially I was having slight burning, stinging upon application. When I asked my dr. about this she said that she has had 4 other patients in the past on DHEA and none had ever complained about stinging/burning. She suggested I put the drops in the refrigerator. I did that and the stinging burning lessened....UNTIL a few days ago.

A few evenings ago I was putting in my DHEA drops before dinner and it burned SO badly in the left eye that I had to rinse it out with water. I did a better eye cleanse that evening and had decent success with the drops the next day. this morning it burned INCREDIBLY bad again. I am thinking that since I am quadraplugged something is stuck in that eye that the DHEA drops don't like. I read about Unisol on here as an eye rinse, so just bought some and used it this morning after putting the burning DHEA drops in.

It concerns me that something I am putting in my already f'd up eye (excuse my french) is burning so much.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, did you resolve it? If so, how????

Thank you

Hi Amanda,

First sorry you are going through this. We've all been there. I've never used DHEA drops, but if I were in your situation I would put in a call to the doctor ASAP and let her know your symptoms have gotten drastically worse. Usually they can get a tech on the phone right away who can then speak to a doctor and get back to you quickly, even if you can't speak to the doctor. I would not use the drops until I spoke to someone. If it hurts that much, your body is trying to tell you something.

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbird View Post
      Hi Amanda,

First sorry you are going through this. We've all been there. I've never used DHEA drops, but if I were in your situation I would put in a call to the doctor ASAP and let her know your symptoms have gotten drastically worse. Usually they can get a tech on the phone right away who can then speak to a doctor and get back to you quickly, even if you can't speak to the doctor. I would not use the drops until I spoke to someone. If it hurts that much, your body is trying to tell you something.

Alex
      Thank you, Alex! So, I took your advice and called the dr.'s office, as well as Leiter's Pharmacy. I was in need of replacing the eye drop (someone had incorrectly told me I could use the drops for 90 days, while I guess they are only good for 30 days?) I think I should get a second opinion on that one b/c $140 every 30 days is a lot for my budget The dr's office suggested I put in a refresh celluvisc drop about 5 minutes before putting in the DHEA and that could help...turns out, it did! The burning was not bad this weekend!

Thanks again for your advice! Much appreciated.

Comment

Hi Amanda,

I get the same thing from Dhea supplements (capsules or tablets). Tried it in various dosages, but even as low as 2.5 mg sublingually causes enormous eye pain/burning/stinging.

However, Dhea helps me tremendously with creating more saliva & eye moisture. As a Sjogren's patient I certainly need it, but the painful reaction has forced me to quit using it.

So now instead I'm trying low dose testosterone. Which is beneficial too, but I felt the Dhea did a better job at creating eye moisture.

Do you still use the drops?

Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Maria3667 View Post
          Hi Amanda,

I get the same thing from Dhea supplements (capsules or tablets). Tried it in various dosages, but even as low as 2.5 mg sublingually causes enormous eye pain/burning/stinging.

However, Dhea helps me tremendously with creating more saliva & eye moisture. As a Sjogren's patient I certainly need it, but the painful reaction has forced me to quit using it.

So now instead I'm trying low dose testosterone. Which is beneficial too, but I felt the Dhea did a better job at creating eye moisture.

Do you still use the drops?

Maria
          Hi Maria,

I am taking a break with the drops. I actually didn't find much improvement with the drops and the stinging I felt outweighed the benefits, in my opinion. I have only been off of it for about 2 weeks now, so maybe something will change in the next few weeks and I will think, Man, it really does help.

I am curious how much improvement you noticed from the DHEA?

I'm so sorry you had to stop using it...

Comment

Hi Amanda,

I would say the improvement was quite substantial - but not enough for me to quit using pilocarpine.

I would love to find out what else I need to use/take for me to continue Dhea. Also wondering what causes the burning reaction from Dhea? We seem to be a minority...

Comment

Working...
            X