This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dhea

Sorry, I originally posted in the wrong section. Wondering about DHEA or testerone cream. Anyone have any experience regarding those creams? R they in clinical trials or can you obtain an rx for them? Thanks!
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Hi,

You can get DHEA by prescription through Leiter's Pharmacy in California. At first I didn't think my insurance would cover it, but it did. It is 86.10 for the drops without shipping (this is regular price before insurance). They do charge for shipping. My experience has been mixed. When I first started them after 3 weeks, my eyes were feeling almost normal again. My doctor wanted me to go down on the dose. Unfortunately that did not work well and my my eye situation went back to before the drops. I had also tried another DHEA drop from another pharmacy that took my insurance (this was before I found that Leiter's would take my insurance) and I was not able to tolerate those drops at all. They burned very bad for a long time and irritated my eyes. Those were in an olive oil base. The drops from Leiter's are in Tears Naturale and they also burn, but it is only for a few minutes.

I have tried to go back up to my dose before, but as of yet, I am not where I was during that "almost normal" week. I am not sure what is going to happen. I feel pretty dejected about it because my eyes hadn't felt that good in a long time. I do see more oil, but not as much as before and my eyes are still feeling pretty dry.

BTW, I have been on Restasis for 11 months - not a lot of help. I wanted to get off them, but there are too many things in the mix to stop those at this point. I don't know if there might be a synergistic relationship between the two drops.

I don't know about testosterone cream. I have heard others talk about it and if the DHEA drops don't kick back in enough, I might be willing to try it.

I hope this info is helpful.
    Best wishes,
    dryeyes2

Comment

I also tried the Azasite and had a bad reaction. I think I'm at a point where I can't put ANYTHING in my eyes. I seem to be hypersensitive to all types of OTC drops, plus Dr Holly's drops. I was interested in the DHEA drops, but a post above says the DHEA is put in Tears Naturale. If that's the case I probably would react to the OTC drops. Does anyone know if DHEA drops can be made using a non-preserved saline solution, rather than a lubricant solution?

Comment

Leiter's

Hi pbeinetti,

Leiter's pharmacy can do their drops in preserved and unpreserved. I believe they told me the unpreserved DHEA version is in Carboxymethylcellulose. Don't quote me, but I am pretty sure that is what it is in. The preserved is Tears Natural II.

You could call Leiter's to see if what you want is possible.

Good luck.
        dryeyes2

Comment

Dhea

Thanks everyone for responding. I have a repeat MD appt coming up and will defintely inquire about starting DHEA. I recently tried topical doxy and that stuff hurt more than it helped, hopefully dhea will be different.
          If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Working...
          X