This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on med's

I have some questions on some meds I have tired or am taking. Much of my problems are partially allergy related.

My eye doctor has tried a few things. He tried freshkote, which I think made them worse or more red. I typically use refresh tears. He did some kind of test where you put a piece of paper or something in your eye lid and it collects tears. I'm not sure how to explain it. According to the tests my tear level fall in the low average range. My eyes are definitely producing tears, but he didn't like the mixture of the tears, something to do with the oil and water mixture?

I was taking an antibiotic called doxicycling (might have spelled that wrong) and it was hard to take it 4 times a day and eventually stopped taking it. I think it may have helped, but I never got to go back to the eye dr for more tests after a month.

He also has me currently using pataday, which doesn't hurt, but not sure it helps much, maybe a little. My regular doctor got me on a different allergy medicine called xyzal, it's similar to zyrtec. That has helped my overall allergies, I think. He also wanted me to try Zaditor, but found out it has bak and don't think it's helping. More of a change of pace, try something different.

For those that have used doxicycline, what is the purpose or what advantages does it have? I think the reason for me was my tears don't stay in my eyes long enough. I basically have some dry eye and allergy eye, which is causing the redness and sometime swelling when the allergies get really bad.

His next step was restasis, but I've heard it can make things worse? I'm not sure if I want to go that route, but would like opinions.

I feel ok with the pataday and I like the new allergy pill. Curious about the other options, mainly the antibiotic and restatis, if I should even try to go that route or give the doxycycline another chance with the change in allergy medicine?

I suggest you visit http://www.dryeyezone.com It will explain the different causes of dry eye, the different tests used in its diagnosis and many of the treatment options available. If you look in the Encyclopedia on that site, you will find info on Doxycycline. If it helped, I would suggest starting back on it. Restatis helps some, does nothing for others and some people, like me, have a hypersensitivity/allergic response to it. The only way to know how your eyes will react with Restasis is to try it. Here is the link to the info on Doxycycline. http://dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/doxycycline.html
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I think with allergy related problem, your eyes should be just tearing up a storm because just like your nose make drainage, the eyes make drainage when irritated with exposure to allergens. You may need to find out if you have blepharitis which is inflammation of the eyelid glands.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta View Post
        I think with allergy related problem, your eyes should be just tearing up a storm because just like your nose make drainage, the eyes make drainage when irritated with exposure to allergens. You may need to find out if you have blepharitis which is inflammation of the eyelid glands.

I've been known to have some bad allergies. The eye doctor thinks the majority of my eye problems are allergy related. I never did have watery eyes from my allergies. Every eye doctor tells me about the same thing, it's a mixture of two, sorta. Allergy meds can lead to dry eyes or is a known side effect, so they kinda work against each other.

What is blepharitis? I Never heard of that before.

Comment

Here is info on Blepharitishttp://www.dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/blepharitis.html
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Working...
          X