This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are our pipeline drugs?

I am a bit discouraged with the whole clinical trial/FDA process.

Today I called Allergan to ask what the status of the androgen tears is. I couldn't find anything on it on the web, other than that it has been in Phase II trials FOREVER! Allergan would not tell me what their findings have been, other than they are moving to Phase IIb. It could be YEARS away for us as an option.

I am so discouraged. There are so many pipeline drugs out there, just hanging out in trials. Unfortunately there are so many sufferers that just hope to get through today... I wish there was a way to mobilize these pharma companies into moving things along a bit.

Has anyone heard the status of doxy drops? i was trying to look into info on that to give that pharma company a call too.

I'm wondering if there are any others that I should look into. I googled almost every single option from "The Dry Eye Remedy" book, but found very limited amounts of information.
    Last edited by AdrianS; 01-Dec-2008, 19:22. Reason: grammar

I cannot answer this question and am equally as frustrated with the lack of progress with regard to dry eye and pharmaceuticals.

Since you're interested in androgen therapy, have you considered having something compounded? I asked a doc to order me testosterone cream for the eyelid. It didn't do much for me, but I gave it a whirl. It has helped some people. It's been years since I've even thought of this treatment.

D
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Roadblocks

Hi,

I also tried to get info from Allergan. They promised to call me back, but I never heard from them. I am using the DHEA compounded drop. They help some, but not enough. I wanted to try testosterone cream, but my doc doesn't want me to use it. I wish there was something else out there too.

Best wishes,
      dryeyes2

Comment

Incentives

One would assume that the lesson the pharma industry would draw from Restasis is that there's a huge market for dry eye - even if the product is mediocre and only helps a small percentage of patients. In 2008, Restasis sales were $440 million:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Allergan-Reports-Third-Quarter-2008/story.aspx?guid={0A5CDDD0-2252-4D03-AB7B-1925840A8E12}

This puts it near the 200th best-selling drug:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_selling_drugs

Hopefully this will spur R&D, and it seems that it has somewhat, from the increase in clinical trials.

Comment

Adrian, its extremely frustrating.

4 years ago when i got this problem, i was hopeful that by 5 years there would be something that would help me. Ive tried everything, new off the label and things you can get from lieters. But still havent found the relief i need. I want to live with face pain or tonsilitis- anything to have normal feeling eyes thats how bad it is!

Im shocked that after 4 years we are no longer any further along to having many new treatments. I dont have much hope now. The biggest hope is for things that are already approved but people realise they have application for dry eye i.e azasite. Because thats the only way we can get new treatments it seems.

Why did restasis get approved quickly? why do other conditions have drugs approved, and dry eye doesnt.

Doxy drops are something you can get from lieters pharmacy with a prescription, you just need to find a doc who is willing to write one.
          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Originally posted by dryeyes2 View Post
            Hi,

I also tried to get info from Allergan. They promised to call me back, but I never heard from them. I am using the DHEA compounded drop. They help some, but not enough. I wanted to try testosterone cream, but my doc doesn't want me to use it. I wish there was something else out there too.

Best wishes,
            dryeyes2
            I would find a doc who will. Testosterone cream is fine as its in a low dose so wont grow hair and unwanted sideeffects.

I tried DHEA- it did nothing. But progesterone cream has helped some.
            I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Fda

This was actually our Christmas dinner conversation. Living in NJ, you are bound to know people that are affiliated or work for pharma companies, this includes my family.

My sister explained that the fda is gun shy, due to the backlash of side effects. I haven't actually looked it up, but she mentioned that she thought the FDA approved only about 60 or 80 drugs in 2008! That is scant.

All in all, all drugs present side-effects. It is my opinion that the doctors who are prescribing these meds should become very familiar with side-effects and educate the patient on them. It should be up to the patient whether or not they accept the risk. Unfortunately, I find that often the doctors don't know the side-effects and then poor choices are made. (side bar... the doctor who recommended I go on doxycycline, an antibiotic, said he had no idea that antibiotics decrease the effectiveness of birth control.... which is pathetic) As a result the fda is under pressure.

My concern now is that the economy is going to hinder research efforts and advancements.

Comment

Working...
              X