Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• topical doxycycline

Hi all...
    Does anyone know anything about the use of topical doxy (eyedrops) to help with inflammation? My stomach can't take the oral and I was wondering about topical...maybe for the eyelids to help control the inflammation from ocular rosacea.
    Thanks
    Karen
    sigpic

Do not know anything about it, but have you tried azasite?
    Current Diagnosis: MGD due to Ocular Rosacea , TBUT of 5 seconds

Comment

Hi,

I thought I have read of people having it made for them. But I could never find out how myself.

My google pulled up topical doxycyline as a pipeline drug, the article suggests Phase III in 2008. I wonder what the status is, now that you mention it.

http://www.alacritybio.com/research/index.php

Alacrity's Approach to Treating Dry Eye Disease: ALTY-0501
      Ophthalmologists have historically used oral doxycycline to treat ocular rosacea, blepharitis and other ocular surface diseases. Systemic drug administration, however, requires high dosage and results in sub-optimal efficacy coupled with distressing side-effects for patients.

Alacrity Biosciences is developing a proprietary topical formulation of non-antimicrobial doxycycline (ALTY-0501) which has successfully completed a phase 2 clinical trial. ALTY-0501 was shown to protect the ocular surface from damage due to desiccating stress in a controlled adverse environment, and to significantly reduce patient symptoms. Phase 3 trials are scheduled to begin in 2008.

Comment

Hey
        I used to use topical tetracycline-however, I wasn't doing the warm compresses at the time so maybe it did help. I remember it burning when I would first put it in and sometimes waking up in the middle of the night with a burning sensation in my eyes. That is basically why I stopped it ..

I also began seeing a new doctor- now I am doing so much better ...Although I take 200 mg Doxycycline oral a day--I am sorry your tummy cant handle it.. I also do warm compresses and massage 1-2 x a day--according to my doctor that is what is really keeping my glands open and oil flowing.

FYI.. when i was using Tetracycline oral-it didn't help my facial rosacea at all--my facial rosacea didn't get under control until on the Doxy.. I believe there may be other topical face creams you can try for the facial component.
        Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
          Hey
          I used to use topical tetracycline-however, I wasn't doing the warm compresses at the time so maybe it did help. I remember it burning when I would first put it in and sometimes waking up in the middle of the night with a burning sensation in my eyes. That is basically why I stopped it ..

I also began seeing a new doctor- now I am doing so much better ...Although I take 200 mg Doxycycline oral a day--I am sorry your tummy cant handle it.. I also do warm compresses and massage 1-2 x a day--according to my doctor that is what is really keeping my glands open and oil flowing.

FYI.. when i was using Tetracycline oral-it didn't help my facial rosacea at all--my facial rosacea didn't get under control until on the Doxy.. I believe there may be other topical face creams you can try for the facial component.
          Wow 200mg is hard core. I am on oracea for 1.5 months and I do not feel as if it is doing anything.

I wonder if bumping up the dosage to 200mg will do anything.

Comment

Hey
            Itn't the Oracea only 40 mg?? also, not sure if you know but with my insurance the Oracea was like $50 a month-the regular doxyclyine which you can get at 50 mg if you want to stay low -for only $10 copay. My doctor said the Oracea is much more $$ because it is a 'brand'.. Doxy is the exact same thing..just an fyi.
            Jenny

Comment

I'm on 200 mg of doxy daily and it IS hardcore. Nausea is the lesser of two evils, though. On the bright side, we'll never have to worry about anthrax exposure again.

Comment

That is too bad so many people have side effects.. With all my dumb health problems I am surprised I can tolerate 200 mg so well.. It doesn't bother my stomach at all.. Of course, I still wish I could taper down on it-whenever I try my eyes get so inflammed. It's a constant battle...

Here's to a new year and better health for all of us.
                Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
                  Hey
                  Itn't the Oracea only 40 mg?? also, not sure if you know but with my insurance the Oracea was like $50 a month-the regular doxyclyine which you can get at 50 mg if you want to stay low -for only $10 copay. My doctor said the Oracea is much more $$ because it is a 'brand'.. Doxy is the exact same thing..just an fyi.
                  Yes the oracea is only 40, but its timed release and supposedly that is the reason its high priced. You can pay 25 copay with the savings card.

Regardless, I dont think it helps with ocular rosacea, at least thats my take on it. I also have a feeling my MGD is related to allergies.

I should try the 200mg route.

Comment

Haven't tried Azasite yet...I'm leary of BAK, but may try anyway. I also may try the weaker preservative free version from Leiters.
                    Any feedback ...good or not so good...on either product?
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X