This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schirmer- anethestitized twice before the test

I have had plenty of TBUT tests and my most recent have been good- about 10's....but, today I went to a new doctor and she gave me my first Schirmer test. I was anesthetized for the test that measures the pressure in your eye and then 20-30 minutes or so later I was anesthesized again for the Shirmer test. My scores were 6 and 7. Is that terrible? I was never considered aqueous defficient in the past and now I am so worried. Could the anesthesia have been a factor?
    Thanks in advance to anyone who may know about this...
    Autumnn

Autumnn,

Schirmer's tests can vary widely and many, many doctors discount the usefulness of the test altogether (which is probably why you have not been given it as much as the TBUT test)

I have had several of these tests. On my first Schirmer's, I had a 3+ in both eyes and was told that I had Sjogren's! I don't have Sjogren's. Long story, but you see my point. My other Schirmer's have been 10+ in both eyes.

It is my understanding that Schirmer's is primarily used to ascertain Sjogren's, in which case the reading with Sjogren's is usually near zero. But that is just my understanding. I have read Dr L on this site say that he thinks the test is not useful and that you should be concerned only if you consistently test very low. And 6-7 is not terrible. 10 is considered normal.

I hope that you are doing better.
    Gretchen

Comment

Schrimer test

I have to agree 100% with Gretchen. Schirmer tests can be deceiving. I had one unanesthesized and scored a saturated result and I have Sjogrens. BTW this probably is a stupid question but have u tried plugs and what was the result?

K
      If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Autumnn, you should not use Schirmer's tests as an important part of your situation. We all want "affirmation" of our problem, but to get hung up on numbers isn't going to help you. For example, my last Schirmer's test (anesthetised) was zero in both eyes after a 5 minute test. One eye can't bring up a tear no matter what and the other can squeeze one out every once in a while. Something else, one hurts like there is acid in it and the other doesn't hurt at all if I keep drops in it.

The Sjogrens/Schirmer's theory is odd also. I suffered with dry eyes after Lasik for 7 years before my diagnosis of Sjogrens two years ago. I went to drs all over the country for help and not one of them ever thought to mention Sjogrens to me. Now you folks are saying docs were telling you that you have Sjogrens because you have dry eyes. I was looking for Sjogrens after awhile and when more symptoms became apparent, I got tested for it and came up positive.

Autumnn Your scores of 6 and 7 are not "terrible." This can be helpful perhaps if you have another test later under similar conditions for comparison. But, you need not get frightened by your numbers. They really are not good indicators at times. Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks ladies- Your responses are so VERY helpful. I didnt understand this test very much until I read your posts and now it makes more sense. I guess the scores arent that bad- meaning I dont supposedly have Sjorns. And, I realize now that the test is very subjective. Plugs helped me for a few years and then seemed to irritate me....I am so very confused by all of this. Now am I considered aqueous defficient and plugs should help? I always thought I was just an MGD vicitm....

Comment

Working...
          X