Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have contacted Leiter's. Chuck is currently on vacation so I will have a delay in his reply for possible physicians. I am aware of the Doheny Eye Institute. I will follow up with them. I did not contact them initially as I erroneously assumed my rheumatologist would write a prescription. I understand the frustration in the medical community over liability issues. We are an overly litigious society and physicians respond as such. I wish there was a system in place to overcome these legal obstacles for potential low risk remedies.
    I am searching for the most expeditious method to obtain the DHEA eye drops as I am in the job market interviewing for a new position after being layed off from a 15 year job. I need to be competitive by looking my best. I’ve already received feedback from one recruiter that I looked tired. That is a major detriment in the market place.

Comment

Hi Sazy123 and everyone

We are at the same age. Now Im 25 and I've been suffering from dry eyes since I was 21. And I have hyperthyroidism.
      I've tried everything out and now I still have plugs(they are not helping me much but I guess without them I might feel worse) and Im using Restasis for 8 or 9 months. In the beginning I really feel good, I got more tears and less inflammation. I thought I would put my hope on Restasis. But now I feel that my tears aren't "good tears" and the tears come out all together and then they don't come down for a long time.
      And I feel my eye condition is strongly related to my period after observing for 4 months. SoI will ask my doctor to do test of DHEA and Sjorgen for me.
      I've read about rheumatismus and hyperthyroidism from an article at 02 2004(in German), and it says that hyperthyroidism and low DHEA may leads to dry eyes.
      ------------http://www.schilddruesenpraxis.de/nl_200402.shtml
      ----Sazy123: I guess you should make a test first, if its postive, it means the DHEA drops might help you, and you can get them with the result of your test ( I guess).

Comment

androgen/DHEA drops

Just to clarify, are androgen eyedrops and DHEA eyedrops the same thing? Does anyone have any updates regarding their experience using androgen/DHEA drops? Can you use restasis simultaneously with androgen/DHEA drops?

I am especially interested in this treatment option because I am a 26 year old male with extremely "low normal" testosterone levels. I am currently seeing an endocronologist for further testing and exploring testosterone replacement therapy. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Comment

My understanding is that the "androgen eyedrops" studied by David Sullivan & co and now under Allergan's auspices, and what's referred to here as "DHEA eyedrops" compounded at Leiter's, are the same thing. But for more certainty, I'd suggest calling Chuck Leiter.

Incidentally, I think I saw a post the other day from somebody about this and can't remember where or who - I wanted to say that I believe Allergan's androgen studies - after a long hiatus - are once again underway. I'll try and post a more detailed update on the blog soon.

Brighteyes I can't remember whether I replied to your PM (thank you btw! ) yet - sorry - I get weeks behind on messages around here I'm afraid!!
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Leiter's pharmacy

Does anyone know...I'm just wondering....I would like to try Doxycycline eyedrops, I've heard that they make them at Leiter's parmacy (in California?). I live on on the other side of the globe, and would it be possible to send compounded drops all the way over here? I guess the drops have to be kept cold? Anyone got experience with ordering drops from Leiter's pharmacy? Puuhh...lot of questions :-p

Greetings, Toril

Comment

I recently saw an ophthamologist who was involved in Allergan's clinical trials for androgen drops. He basically said that the androgen drops were a failure and that, to his knowledge, Allergan had abandoned research on the androgen drops. However, he did admit that there is an unknown connection between androgen and dry eye and happily wrote me a RX for DHEA drops from Lieter's. I will keep everyone updated on any progress...or lack thereof

Comment

I used DHEA drops from leiters before, they didnt help, but i got them sent internationally. I think they are ok until they are opened then need to be refrigerated due to no preservatives.

Sad to hear about the androgen drops, it was kind of obvious though because there was no news for so long.
                I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

I just started DHEA drops yesterday. Apparently I have low testosterone levels due to birth control use and my doctor thinks they might help (since nothing else has). I'll definitely keep you all posted on my (hopeful) progress. So far all I notice is that they sting just a bit right after I put them in but I think that might be due to the fact that they have to be kept in the fridge and my eyes are sensitive to how cold they are.
                  Also, if there's anyone on here in the Chicago area I'd gladly refer you to my doctor. He's been great!

Comment

I am waiting for my drops- and question for Rojzen

I saw my doc today and I going to be getting the DHEA-s drops from Leiters too. Rojzen, if you see this, can you let me know how you did on the drops. I am not going to have time to day to search to see if you posted on your results, but I am curious. Thank you.

I sure hope they work.

dryeyes2

Comment

Originally posted by dryeyes2
                      I saw my doc today and I going to be getting the DHEA-s drops from Leiters too.
                      dryeyes, how much do those bad boys cost with shipping? How long do they last? Just curious...

Daren

Comment

never tried them, alas

Glad you asked, DRYEYES2, but I let the ball drop on the DHEA drops. I was absolutely enchanted by the accounts I had read, of these drops, but when I asked my eye doc in Ohio to prescribe them for me, via Leiter's, she was not amenable. I could have doctor-shopped to find someone who would prescribe, but I felt lucky to be with an optometrist who would at least prescribe FreshKote, and so I put the DHEA off for the future. . .Right now, I'm liking the Freshkote, but planning a trial of NAC drops, which are available over-the-counter and which my doc will be willing, at least, to monitor progress on. . .I still hope that androgens will make an appearance soon as a standard Rx item, at which point I think my doc will jump at those. . .Sorry to be of little assistance here. . .
                        <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

bassfan,

I got my preservative-free DHEA drops from Leiter's last week. It cost me about $86? including shipping (I live in southern CA) for a 25 day supply (1 drop 2x/day).

Comment

Interesting Brighteyes...mine came with one drop in each eye 4x daily, not 2x, instructions.

Comment

drops, insurance, etc.

Yep, that is about the amount I was told 86.00 + 7.00 s&h. Not cheap.

My doc is reluctant too and warned me about them being steroids and all the problems that can go along with it, but with my situation, he was willing to give it a try. It will have to make a big difference in order justifying that amount of money on a monthly basis. I am not sure if I could talk my insurance company into paying for it if they work. In fact, has anyone had any luck with that?

Rojzen, thanks the update. I have to say I got a sample of the Freshkote and was not very impressed. First off, when I tried to put the drop in my eye from the sample bottle, the hole was plugged. I had to squeeze really hard to get it to come out. I got a bunch at first. I thought well maybe it was just the first drop it should be fine after that. Nope, it has done it other times too. I have a hard time with all the flakes that end up on my eyelashes and then on my eye. I think I would have to wash my eyelids off everytime I used it if I were going to do so on a regular basis. How long after you started using that did you find it to be helpful? I can't say that I noticed much of a difference when trying to use those drops. I had hoped that they might work since you were having luck with them. I considered contacting the company to let them know of the dropper problems, but I haven't done that.

Anyway, anyone who is trying the DHEA-s drops, keep me posted on your progress because I am interested and I will do the same.

Thanks everyone,
                              dryeye2

Comment

Any updates from the DHEA drop users out there? I should have mine in a week or so...will post my experiences then.

bassfan

Comment

Working...
                                X