Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question About Plug Use - indrep are you around??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Plug Use - indrep are you around??

To all (and indrep!),

Is there a chance that plug use can interfere with normal, long-term lacrimal gland production? I understand that plugs can be a big help to some, but I am not sure I want to risk a long-term complication like reduced tear function. Although I understand that chronically dry eyes also post long-term risks of their own.... So, if someone could offer feedback on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
    Rose

Sammy Bolivia
    There was a study many years ago(10-15) that studied the secretions of tears after plug insertion. I seem to remeber it stating that if you plugged one eye you could reduce the secretions in both eyes. With the knowledge we have now the study was insufficient to draw any conclusions from.

Your eyes are "complimentary". Have you ever noticed how if you get something in one eye both water? Its quite complex but we now know that your nerves to your lacrimal glands can atrophy after only 36 months of inflammation on the ocular surface. So it is more probable that inflammation reduces tear production than plugs would.

Your welcome to call me for a more detailed explanation or we could ask Rebecca to set up another chat session.

Comment

Thanks a lot, indrep. I will definitely circle back to you when I decide to get plugged as I will, of course, have a lot of questions!

Thanks again,
      Rose

Comment

Working...
      X