Punctal Plug Aggitating The Eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punctal Plug Aggitating The Eye?

I feel as though my right punctal plug may be aggitating my eye and making my condition worse. It is different then the one in my left eye and seems to protrude just a little more then the other. My question is how often can you get these things changed out? I'd like to get it refit but have already tried 3 in that eye plus a failed cauterization attemp, just worried that I may do more harm then good by getting it changed out again... it definately seems to be rubbing against the eye. The right eye always was the worse eye though.

Sometimes I feel like it may be to large as when I close my lids tightly I get a pain around only that plug. Also worried that there might be a slight infection of the area as the area around the punctate gets an itchy numb type feeling.

Has anybody had a lot of experience with getting these things changed out?

Hi Aaron,

Your story is so similar to mine! I had an upper plug in my right eye (the worse eye), and I felt that it is rubbing against the ey surface and causing me further pain and discomfort. However, the doctor kept saying that all this is just because my eye is so inflamed, and he kept saying that it is not the plug rubbing on the surface.

Despite his assurance, i wanted that plug out. He took it out and i did not have that exact feeling any more, but i still had pain in that same area. ANd my eye got drier.

Only after i was on the antiinflammatory medications for some time he put another plug, which thankfully, does not bother me at all. I do not have any idea whether this is because the inflammation was less, or because the plug was better inserted. But it might be useful to try changing it if it is bothering you.

Hope that helps,

Comment

Aaron,

What kind of plug was it?
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
        Aaron,

What kind of plug was it?
        both plugs are of the capped type, not sure about the brand... the one that does'nt seem to bother me is clear and the one in the bad eye is white and the cap seems to protrude out slightly.

i feel like there's definately a different sensation around the punctate and when I move my eye from side to side, I think the eye is better though... still nowhere near good.
        Last edited by Aaron77; 13-Nov-2009, 21:21.

Comment

The clear one is OASIS most likely. Unfortunately the one you are having trouble with has been cauterized and has scar tissue so it is unlikely any plug will "fit" properly but you should try.

Comment

I had the same problems when I had my plugs in. My Dr. told me the itching was just the result from allergies? As soon as I had them out though I felt so much better.

Comment

[QUOTE=Aaron77;47226]both plugs are of the capped type, not sure about the brand... the one that does'nt seem to bother me is clear and the one in the bad eye is white and the cap seems to protrude out slightly.
              QUOTE]

I got capped plugs about a week ago, and I CAN SEE that the caps are rubbing against my eyes at times: My eye lids swell when I'm asleep or when they are a little bit irritated. The swelling tips the lower tear duct against the eye -- in good light with a magnifying mirror, this is very easily observed.

In the day time, most of the time the lower lids aren't swollen enough to for the caps to contact my eyes. But I wake up every morning with bright red eyes and the caps obviously on the surface of the eye. (My guess is that rapid eye movements during REM sleep may be one reason the irritation is so bad.)

I returned to the eye doctor who explained that because my eyes weren't draining as quickly, pollan is remaining in my eyes longer and irritating them. (Allergies are usually a very mild and very occasional problem for me.) He felt that was why my lids were swelling. To my surprise, he didn't remove them or suggest doing so (I'm be seeing another opthamologist soon about this).

Does anybody's eye lids not swell a little at night, though? I thought that was a pretty normal condition, to wake up with slightly puffy eyes. Can some people just tolerate the rubbing of the caps on their eyes? Or could it be that some people's lids swell in a way that doesn't push their tear ducts into direct contact with the surface of their eyes?

Comment

Working...
              X