Should I get punctal plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get punctal plugs?

I have Sjogren's Syndrome. Restasis drops work, but I still frequently have a gritty feeling, like particles are trapped. I usually wake up with extremely dry eyes. My opthamologist put in temporary collagen plugs, which helped, but at first made me a bit too teary. There were a few times when I felt like tears would spill out of my eyes. Should I get the "permanent" plugs? I'm just a bit concerned that my eyes would be too teary.

You can try the silicone plugs in the bottom punctum only. I have the kind with little caps on them. I can't feel them in there and they have been there about 3 years. I got a great fit on the first time and have not lost either one. Usually the overtearing results from all four punctum being plugged. With the caps on the tops of the plugs they can be easily removed if you do overtear.

Comment

Plugs would probably help, but are nothing permanent and easy to try.
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by LasikLady View Post
        Usually the overtearing results from all four punctum being plugged.
        Not sure what you mean. The temporary plugs were inserted only in the lower ones. And the permanent ones would be done the same way.

Not sure what kind they would be. Any recommendations?

Comment

If you had overtearing with only the bottoms plugged (you have punctum in the tops of your eyes and the bottoms) then I would think you still have pretty good tear function. You can ask your doctor to try the flow control plugs on you, they have tiny holes in the plugs to let some of the moisture out while keeping some in.

Comment

webo
            Did your doctor occlude all four puncta with the temporary plugs or just two?

If it was only two I would try the following:

1. I would first try the OASIS Tears Plus that Rebecca sells on this site. I would use these 3-4 times a day for one month and see the results.

2. If that is not enough relief and you are not noticing improvement I would try a "Flow Control" plug. These are "easily" inserted and can be removed easily if you still have too many tears.

If all four were occluded:

Have your doctor occlude only two puncta and see what the results feel like.

Comment

Originally posted by indrep View Post
              webo
              Did your doctor occlude all four puncta with the temporary plugs or just two?

If it was only two I would try the following:

1. I would first try the OASIS Tears Plus that Rebecca sells on this site. I would use these 3-4 times a day for one month and see the results.

2. If that is not enough relief and you are not noticing improvement I would try a "Flow Control" plug. These are "easily" inserted and can be removed easily if you still have too many tears.

If all four were occluded:

Have your doctor occlude only two puncta and see what the results feel like.
              The temporary plugs were inserted only in the lower ones.

Comment

I reread your post. Typically waking up with dry eyes is a sign of meibomian gland dysfunction. You may want to try the warm compresses along with the TEARS I mentioned earlier.

Comment

Working...
                X