No announcement yet.

dry eye, inflammation, current and future treatments and the logic behind them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dry eye, inflammation, current and future treatments and the logic behind them

I wrote this post in response to a question by Rebecca who asked me to explain better some statements in my previous posts regarding heat compresses anddry eye inflammation in general.

As I was posting in a hurry, I want to apologize that I failed to provide the proper back up explanation of what I was trying to say, so that is why I am post my reply to her here in a separate thread and will appreciate your feedback and thoughts, as we are all struggling to get a better understanding of this disease and the pros and cons of current treatments. Tha was my post:

Dear Rebecca,

I am taking this information from various textbooks on ophthalmology which I have been reading in a library, including their electronic database. That is why it s hard for me to keep a bibliography of what I have read.

But basically, to summarize, medical science defines dry eye, Keratoconjuctivitis sicca (KCS) as a chronic inflammatory disease notably characterized by the deficient production of the aqueous portion of the tear film (quantitative disorder) or the inadequate production of the lipid layer which leads to evaporative (qualitative disorder) or combination of the two.the disease causes damage to the corneal and conjuctval surface and varies in severity.

The corneal-conjuctival inflammation is mainly characterized by T-cell infiltration in the lacrimal glands (meiboian glands as well),and responds to immunosuppressive therapy with different agents, the only one of which approved for ophthalmic use in humans being cyclosporine A and various steroid preparations.

The pathogenesis of idiopathic KCS in humans has been established as follows--

epithelial cells of the conjuctiva regularly secrete antigens or cellular proteins. In normal states, these antigens are recognized by antigen-presenting cells (antigen presentation by Langerhans and dendritic cells) and then presented to effector lymphocytes on the ocular surface. In parallel, regulatory lymphocytes which are also present block the action of effector lymphocytes, thus preventing the development of an inflammatory state and maintaining local immunohomeostasis.

(topical immunosuppressants like CsA for ex. interfere with the antigen presentation as a first step in their immunomodulatry action;later on they deactivate other factors involved in the inflammation)

This pathway of antigen presentation is regulated by androgens which are responsible for the regulation of the production of transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta), whose function is to reduce local prolactin concentration.Conditions such as senility and other idiopathic factors may reduce the production of androgen hormones, leading to changes in conjuctival homeostasis due to reduced production of TGF_beta and increased prolactin concentration in conjuctival epithelial cells. This alters local antigen detection, favoring the effector lymphocyte pathway and thus triggering local inflammation.

after the effector lymphocytes are activated they start an inflammatory cascade which involves many molecules and other cells and substances, like cytokines, TNF-alpha, etc. Various proinflammatory cytokines that may cause cellular destruction, including interleukin 1 (IL-1), interleukin 6 (IL-6), interleukin 8 (IL-8), TGF-beta, TNF-alpha, and RANTES, are altered in patients with KCS. IL-1 beta and TNF-alpha, which are present in the tears of patients with KCS, cause the release of opioids that bind to opioid receptors on neural membranes and inhibit neurotransmitter release through NF-K b production. IL-2 also binds to the delta opioid receptor and inhibits cAMP production and neuronal function. This loss of neuronal function diminishes normal neuronal tone, leading to sensory isolation of the lacrimal gland and eventual atrophy.(this is where doctors try to compensate by prescribing pilocarpine which is the substitute or acetylcholine, a major neurotransmitter stimulating the tear gland to excrete tears; cyclosporine also acts as a tear gland stimulator besides bein antiinflammatory).

Proinflammatory neurotransmitters (these are neurotransmitters that activate inflammatory cells), such as substance P and calcitonin gene related peptide (CGRP), are released, which recruit and activate local lymphocytes. Substance P also acts via the NF-AT and NF-K b signaling pathway leading to ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 expression, adhesions molecules that promote lymphocyte homing and chemotaxis to sites of inflammation. Cyclosporin A is an NK-1 and NK-2 receptor inhibitor that can downregulate these signaling molecules and is a prominent addition to the therapeutic armamentarium for dry eye, being used to treat both aqueous tear deficiency and meibomian gland dysfunction. It has been shown to improve the goblet cell counts and to reduce the numbers of inflammatory cells and cytokines in the conjunctiva.

These cytokines, in addition to inhibiting neural function, may also convert androgens into estrogens, resulting in meibomian gland dysfunction, as discussed above. An increased rate of apoptosis is also seen in conjunctival and lacrimal acinar cells, perhaps due to the cytokine cascade. Elevated levels of tissue-degrading enzymes called matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are also present in the epithelial cells. The latter can be deactivated with doxycyline or other tetracyclines that chelate substnces needed for the production of the enzymes.

There may be many reasons for the onset of dryness in the eye. But whatever the reason (for example surgery like LASIK disrupts the nerve signalling so in that case the inflammation starts after the neural isolation of the lacrimal gland), the inflammatory cascade that is involved is autoimmune and self-perpetuating in essence. Some new treatments may be developed involving stimulating the Nerve Growth Factor on the ocular surface to compensate the initial surgery damage or subsequent inflammatory damage of the corneal nerves.

For now,treatment goes as follows: after doctors establish that eyelid hygiene, artificial tears,and removal of exacerbating factors is not enough to maintain the patient, they go on to add anti-inflammatory therapy which starts with topical steroids
    and NSAIDS
    and immunosuppressants like cyclosporine(which is also a potent lacrimostimulant)
    and tetracyclines,
    moisture chambers
    and secretagogues like pilocarpine(which is a substitute for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine which stimulates the lacrimal glands to excrete tears; that also keeps them functional),
    punctal occlusion.
    In more severe cases that do not imrove on the latter therapy, the immunosuppressants are taken by mouth or intravenously.

Antiinflammatory therapy with lacrimostimulation is essential in the halting of the progression of the disease especially when it comes to corneal surface damage which is not only measured by staining and erosions; it is the loss of goblet cells and neural desensitization and isolation of the lacrimal glands.

However, as we all know,antiinflammatory therapy cannot remain the mainstay of dry eye treatment in the future, as it only controls the progress of the disease without curing it. The answer will most probably be a combination of hormone and nerve growth factor therapies with stem cell therapy. But that seems to be feasible in hte far future indeed. For now what doctors can do is firefight the consequences of an activated inflammatory cascade.

Doctors started me on antiinflammatories after my eyes were totally devastated-- I had developed filamentary keratitis (mucous strings and plaques set deep in the surface of th cornea that severely damage the corneal surface), prominent corneal oedema, severe erosions and ulcers, episcleritis, severe inflammation, etc. That is when they decided that I need something more than artificial tears an lid hygiene. It was too late. Now I have to live with the irreversible complications of this disease. If antiinflammatry therapy was started earlier, I would have been much better.

Oh, I forgot to mention for everyone-- never take sulfonamide antibiotics-- they are a direct cause of dry eye-- T cells respond to haptens generated by oxidative metabolites derived from these substances. So there you have another cause of dry eye. But whatever the cause is, it always involves an element of self-perpetuating inflammation and subsequent neural isolation of the lacrimal glands.

regarding heat compresses-- I can accept warm compresses, but about hot ones I don't know. All the processes I described above are intensified by heat and slowed down by cold. That patients get temporary symptomatic relief from the hot compress may be one thing, but the long-term impact on the actual underlying disease does not seem to be very good.I am not giving advice against using hot compresses.It is upt to every individual and how they feel to use or not to use something. There is hardly any medication for dry eye anyway, that does not have various degrees of potentially dangerous side effects.

And in the end,dear Rebecca, I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my experience on this wonderful forum, and for all your efforts that have helped ease so much suffering, including mine.

Please let me know your thoughts on my post. I truly appreciate your feedback.
    Last edited by ringo; 12-Mar-2010, 05:36.

Ringo,
    Thank you so much for the informative post (and your hard work in researching)! It is nice to get information from those who actually suffer from the disease.

My response & questions will not be so sophisticated, please bare with me. And sorry for such a long post.

I am wondering why, if it all involves inflammation, why Restasis does not work for more sufferers? I have not yet tried it for a few reasons...

My DE came out of no where last November. While I do not know the cause (as most of us) I have my theories:
    1. Citalopram-was on it for a year, but DE did not develop until I had been off of it for 4 months so not sure there.
    2. Job is on a computer all day (10 years now); this along with some extensive reading in a very short period of time (Twilight books, all 4 in 2 weeks) and I normally do not read. I read the books in the middle of October, one month before onset of DE.
    3. Bad diet-mostly high in processed sugars. Had a VERY bad pregnancy in 2007; Hyperemisis Gravidarum (sp). I was on TPN for 4 months & an iv generic form of Zofran. Because I could not eat for 8 months and pucked all the time I now have food issues. This I have control over and am working on it.

Anywho, when I initially went in to eye doc, I had inflammed eyes & very dry. Treated for a month with Lotemax then weaned off. I have not had inflammation since. Continuous dropping initially helped my symptoms & then no relief; up until a month ago when I decided to stop all the dropping.
    I only drop at night & during the day as needed, not every couple hours as advised. I followed this for a week, had an appt, & this was the first time there was no corneal staining. Hmmmm.
    Now, for the past month I have followed this regimin. Had an appt Wed. & now have developed bleph, great, but still no corneal staining. Was advised to do warm compresses & back on the drops. Will comply if lids get bright red.

While my condition is not as severe as many on this forum, I am depressed knowing I will have this for the rest of my life. And furious that I cannot find a doc that cares enough to work with me; not just throw different things to try.
    I am told my problem is lack of tear production. Okay, but I have read many have this same issue, but Restasis still didn't work for them.
    I am afraid to try anything that may mean long term use for fear of side affects.

Any thoughts or advise is greatly appreciated!

Again Ringo...thank you!

Comment

Hi MNJen,

Thank you for your post, and although I am not a doctor and cannot say for sure why restasis does not help some people, I have the following opinion:

I was on restasis for a very long time: almost 2 years out of the now 6 years that I have had dry eye. It did not help me at all, absolutely zero, doctors added to it FML drops and Tobradex ointment at night. Only then I had some improvement with my corneal erosions and the extreme pain I had. However, I was assured that if I stop the Restasis things might start getting worse.

That could have been for the following reasons:
      -first, I was started on Restasis too late in the prgoression of the disease in severity and had developed complications like ulcres, erosions, severe inflammation, filamentary keratitis, which obviously required something much stronger than restasis. if i was given restasis in the early stages of the disease, I think that it would have worked and i would have been better.

-secondly, the concentration of the active substnce in Restasis- cyclosporine, is so low-- it is 0.05 %, and is a little bit better than an artificial tear drop. I will not speculate on why it is so low; but I know that in clinical trials with higher concentrations there were no side effects and the improvement was much more noticeable and fast.

With me, doctors decided to try higher concentrations of cyclosporine. I was started on 0.2 % ointment-- it has the advantage of staying on the eye surfce longer plus lubricating, I still use it if my eye feel dry/painful. ! month into this ointment, my eyes started to open wider, feel more lubricated, pain went down to an almost unnoticeable leve, tolerance to AC inceased, erosions resolved (i was still taking same as with the restasis-- FML and Voltare/Acular drops).

When they increased the concentraion to 1% two months into this treatment and I could look at myself in the mirror and actually remember how used to look befoer this horror started! I could read, watch TV, even use the computer without rivers of reflex tears flowing from my eyes-- oh God did I really cry ntensely when I was using a computer, just until about a month ago? Now I have been on 2 % in corn oil (the Moorfileds one) for a month and my eyes are more white, more open, more lubricated, more comfortable, NO erosions, increased TBUT, no clogged lid glands, can stay outdoors and in airconditoned environments, no tears streaming own my face, and most importantly, I can enjoy some things in life-- going to the movies with a little pain, sitting at an outside cafe, watcing TV, reading, using the PC occasionally-- and all that without emembering ONLYPAIN PAIN PAIN like what it was before! THank God. I still strugge with the mucous strings, they are horrendous, but now they come out, and when I pull them they dont hurt terribly.

So, cyclosporine worked for me, but restasis did not. And the obvious reason-- too far into the disease, too late; too little concentration.

Your case sounds mild, and I suggest you take very good care of your eyes, so it does not progress from here. You might even be able to reverse the condition with the right treatment, nd persistently sticking to it.

I suggest you use misture goggles when working on a computer, and profusely lubricating your eyes, also drinking a lot of water.
      You might start the Restasis, if you can afford it (or even if you can't). I think in your case it will work, at least keeping things from getting worse.

Also, sleep with a sleeping mask that covers your eyes, use a lubricating gel while you sleep. dry eyes get hurt especially during sleep.

Never rub or touch yor eyes, maintain good lid hygiene, but don't overdo the heat or massages.

You might have pulse therapy with a mild steroid , like 2 weeks every six months.

You might take a course of very low dose doxycycline occaioally, again as pulse treatment.

Always wear sunglasses outside.

Take fish oils and flaxseed.

Remove sugars from your diet, and try to have a healthy lifestyle. All that should do it for you, I think.

remoe te exacerbatin factor as much as you can-- excessive cmputer use, reading, TV, anythign that strains the eye; just take extra care of them.

remove any medications that might worsen dry eye-- anti allergy pills or drops; whitening eye drops (NO NO NO)you can use NSAID drop instead; antidepressants and anti-psychotics (some anxiolytics do not hurt dry eye as much, like now I am taking clonazepam, it seems to be ok), sulfonamide antibiotics, excessive alcohol consumptions is a NO NO,diuretics, and the so called anti-cholinergic pills; beta blockers, etc.

In general anything tht lists dry mouth as a side effect, will affect the eyes too. Avoid these.

I was diagnosed with dry eye in the year 2001, before I had noticed barely any symptoms, I went for a routine check and a very prominent doctor professor slapped me with the diagnosis Keratoconjuctivitis sicca.

I told her I have no dryness in my eye, just a bit of iritation rarely.She insisted I am developing the disease and referred me to a rheumatologist to check for autoimmunity!!!! I thought the doctor is just trying to slap me wth a diagnosis, and dry eye sounded like a stupid one, so I completely ignored the treatment or the referral she prescribed.

I was at the university at that time, writing huge research papers on computers and reading huge books mostly in electronic format in order to write them, and in my free time playing computer strategy games like age of empires, where I would spend like up to 20 hours at a time building the roman empire or the egyptian or fighting ancient wars.

Later on there were other exacerbating factors that were acummulating-- my work environment, stress, a bout of insomnia that i treated with anti-cholinergic drugs and antiepressants, etc. for nearly a year; ad so on and so on, all meant to aggravate existing dry eye. Bu I did not know I had dry eye.

I remember one day I decided to dry colored lenses. My eyes were still looking and feeling perfect or at least comfortable enough. That was end of 2003. I could not stand the lenses in my eyes even for 5 minutes. They caused me tremendous pain. I was so shocked-- how can eyes experience such pain?
      Later on, a few months, I had a make up session for something related to my work--when the artist started making up my eyes and tod me to hold them open, after like a minute I felt extreme pain and tearing started. She was astounded what is happening and thougt she accidentally hurt my eye. I could not understand it either.That night I was with perfect make up and very inflamed red eyes.

Still I had no clue I have dry eye or what does it mean. In 2004 summer I was in Kuwait-- 50 degrees Celsius in the shadow, dry sandy hot winds, powerful airconditioning inside buildings and cars. That was when I started feeling serious discomfort in my eye, but not pain, jut slight discomfort especially when outdoors. I went to a doctor in Kuwait-- he declared my eyes are dry and immediately plugged my tear ducts.I remembered the 2001 doctor and wondered do I really have that or saying dry eye is just an excuse for not knowing exactly what I have?Dry eye sounded so .... unprofessional and not a big deal somehow.

After he plugged my eyes, they were overflowing with tears for exactly 2 days-- then everything returned to normal and I forgot about any sort of dry eye for the next year and a half! I was feeling perfect with the plug and thought that is the permanent solution and cure for the stupid dry eye. I returned to excessive reading and use of computers and ecessive smoking, taking drying sleeping pills even when I did not need them, etc. Completely ignored my eyes. Never used tear drops as I was instructed; never bothered to go to the doctor again.

It was only until the end of 2005 when I was going to understand the real horrors of dry eye. And in 2006, I was going to have the biggest nightmarish dry eye struggles with life and doctors. In 2007, the problem was compounded by a terribly misfortunate miscarriage operation that ended with me in hospital for nearly 4 months with abdominal abscess in extreme abdominal pain, which meant neglecting the eyes completely although they were in horrible pain and looked the most horrible I have ever imagined an eye can look. After all that, my eyes were devastated.

My point is, in some cases like mine, dry eye takes a long long time to deteriorate and progress, and needs as well a combination of exacerbating factors to show up.In the early stages of the dry eye, I believe if you avoid these exacerbating factors, and take a lot of care of your eyes, and all possible alleviating and preventive measures, you might even recover from it, or at least it will never start really bothering you.

So take advantage of time now, and start pampering your eyes!

You just need to take it to heart an stick to it.

Let us know how you are doing,

Dani

-

Comment

I apologize for the long posts

Comment

ringo, that's an interesting post..Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks for reading my long posts Rhad, apologies for tiring your eyes....I had to use my goggles and a magnifier to write all that ! I imagine it takes the same effort to read it... hope it was useful

Comment

Also, apologies for being uable to cite accurately the sources for my initial post in this thread-- the info is from medical textbooks on ophthalmology used in the current curriculum for medical students.

Will try and be better with references next time

Comment

Ringo, thank you for the reply.

While I agree with you about taking care of my eyes and pamper them, the one piece I am struggling with is the artificial tears...they make my eyes drier and my symptoms worse. I am hoping based on what I read on the U's site, they will have a better solution for me.

I have decided to try & get into the U of M (Minnesota) Opthalmology Dept. I have only been dealing with DE for 5 months and already tired of docs not listening to me or trying to figure out my exact issues and then explaining too me.
                I will go armed with all the information I have and a list of questions, to which I WILL expect answers!

Comment

ringo thanks for the informative post. its really helpful when people with these problems explain what they went through and what helped them

Comment

Originally posted by MNJen View Post
                    Ringo, thank you for the reply.

While I agree with you about taking care of my eyes and pamper them, the one piece I am struggling with is the artificial tears...they make my eyes drier and my symptoms worse. I am hoping based on what I read on the U's site, they will have a better solution for me.

I have decided to try & get into the U of M (Minnesota) Opthalmology Dept. I have only been dealing with DE for 5 months and already tired of docs not listening to me or trying to figure out my exact issues and then explaining too me.
                    I will go armed with all the information I have and a list of questions, to which I WILL expect answers!
                    MNJen,

there are a lot of different kinds of NON PRESERVEd artificial tears-- have you tried anything containing sodium hyaluronate? That worked for me. You just need to keep trying different kinds.
                    The other alternative mght be to plug your tear ducts. When I was in the relatively early stages of the disease that resolved my dry eye problems completely for a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by dgreen97 View Post
                      ringo thanks for the informative post. its really helpful when people with these problems explain what they went through and what helped them
                      Dgreen97,

thanks for reading and appreciating my long posts
                      i have been mystified by dry eye for so long and when I was at my worst there was noone to help me out with any info; not even the doctors. I was desperately struggling for answers. That is why I loved this forum.We are all here to share and search for solutions.

Comment

You mentioned you got plugs, were they permanent and fixed the problem?

I have tried plugs, worked great, but kept falling out. I was told not to get permanent ones due to blepharitis, so I still have not.

The only thing that has helped my dry eyes was gnc vitamin A supplement, i am currently using them and they make my eyes full of tears, but i dont know if this will last long term. Plugs on the other hand would if i went permanent.

Comment

I agree about hot compresses!!

Alot of people with dry eye have some sort of underlying vascular/ocular rosacea rpoblem. Heat is not good for rosacea.

I hadnt used hot compresses for agess since they only gave temp relief.. never improved the problem and i was worried about this very thing.

But one day i decided to use them for some temp relief, my left eyelid ( the worse eye) got irritated and and sore ... maybe it was too hot, but wanst THAT hot. Now ever since i swear my left eye has been dryer and ive been panicking about it, because my left used to get dryer like this but not to this extent. And i think it made rosacea worse on my left lid, i notice it being more purply. I dont think they are good long term tbh.

But alas they are told to use in MGD, ocular rosacea is a common cause of MGD.

I swear since when i used to use them all the time my outer eyelids in general are more purple and red. I wish there was more decent treatments for MGD.
                          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

I have permanent plugs. Had them for years now. If vitamin A helps you so much, I would suggest you check whether you have any condition causing a vitamin A deficiency? Like poor intestinal absorption of nutrients may be? I suggest you talk to an internal diseases doctor.

There is indeed dry eye caused by severe vitamin A deficiency. It is extremely rare in developed countries.

Hope that helps,
                            Dani
                            Originally posted by Eyeproblems View Post
                            You mentioned you got plugs, were they permanent and fixed the problem?

I have tried plugs, worked great, but kept falling out. I was told not to get permanent ones due to blepharitis, so I still have not.

The only thing that has helped my dry eyes was gnc vitamin A supplement, i am currently using them and they make my eyes full of tears, but i dont know if this will last long term. Plugs on the other hand would if i went permanent.

Comment

The topic of warm compresses is very controversial, and my own opinion is in agreement with yours. But there are many people here who say they beefit from this treatment, at least symptomatically.
                              I think everyone should work out with their doctors what works best for them...
                              I was criticized by a lot of people on the forum for expressing a sceptical attitude towards warm compresses, so I have decided not to post any further comments on the subject.

Regards,
                              Dani
                              Originally posted by sazy123 View Post
                              I agree about hot compresses!!

Alot of people with dry eye have some sort of underlying vascular/ocular rosacea rpoblem. Heat is not good for rosacea.

I hadnt used hot compresses for agess since they only gave temp relief.. never improved the problem and i was worried about this very thing.

But one day i decided to use them for some temp relief, my left eyelid ( the worse eye) got irritated and and sore ... maybe it was too hot, but wanst THAT hot. Now ever since i swear my left eye has been dryer and ive been panicking about it, because my left used to get dryer like this but not to this extent. And i think it made rosacea worse on my left lid, i notice it being more purply. I dont think they are good long term tbh.

But alas they are told to use in MGD, ocular rosacea is a common cause of MGD.

I swear since when i used to use them all the time my outer eyelids in general are more purple and red. I wish there was more decent treatments for MGD.

Comment

Working...
                              X