Punctal plugs to counter dry eye side effect of medication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punctal plugs to counter dry eye side effect of medication

I've been a user of a prescription drug called Propecia - the hair loss prevention drug for men. Unfortunately the side effect it has had for me is dry eyes. I had dry eyes for the period I was on the drug (7 months, but a lot of time I wear contact lenses with a water contact that shielded the dryness to some degree) and when I came off the drug to check to see whether it was the cause, my eyes, within 5 weeks, cleared up significantly.

I quite desperately want to remain on Propecia because of the benefits it has had for me in reversing my receding hairline, however, I don't think I could cope with dry eyes, so am looking for some solution. I am seeing my GP soon to discuss my options, then I expect I'll be referred on to an opthamologist.

My specific question: is it common/uncommon for persons with dry eyes caused by medication (not specifically Propecia) to have punctal plugs inserted to counter a dry eye side effect? If punctal plugs will offset much of the dryness I am keen to try them out. I think I could cope with a minor amount of dryness, but not a severe amount as I experienced at times. Any other general advice regarding my dilemma would be appreciated.

I know cautery wouldn't be suitable, as one day I might well decide to come off the drug.

hi
    I will give my VIews in short.
    Im not supporter of punctual plugs as they r not comfortable for eyes.Also chances r there that it might not stay fixed always.

Cauttery is good options.And for ur kind information cauttery is also reversible surgery,Confirm with ur opth 1st.
    Really need to be a ROCK to take the pain!

Comment

Plugs

I have had bottom plugs for a few years now. I have no discomfort, but I can't say that they have done a whole lot for my dry eye. I tried to get plugs in my top lids a couple weeks ago, but the doc couldn't get them in. I just tried Lacriserts and my eyes felt great for the entire day. Too bad they cost $200 a month and too bad my eyes are so dry they are worth it.

My dry eye is Lasik induced.

Comment

dry eye as a result of propecia sounds like it can be reversible if you stop the medication but usually people take propecia for an indefinite period of time.

I think punctal plugs would help to retain nature tears and moisture in your eyes. You should consider temporary collagen plugs that are inserted deep into the punctum and usually dissolve in 90 days...that way you can tell if it is helpful or not and there is no fear of permament effect.

Just have one of your eyes done to experiment. Stay away from cautery because it is difficult to reverse and often considered permanent !!
        RG
        "Wishing I never had LASIK and was still wearing glasses and contact lenses"

Comment

Working...
        X