Temporarily quadriplugged today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporarily quadriplugged today!

Well, it has been a very interesting day. Don't want to scare anyone, but wanted to share what my experience was like. I went in to the eye doctor totally calm, cool and collected, looking forward at long last to starting the trial of the Herrick collagen plugs. Surprise, he did all four! He had a heck of a time getting the right size plugs, ended up using 3 different sizes between the 4 punctum, and making several attempts at the uppers. It took about 45 minutes from start to finish, with several doses of anesthetic drops. Even with them it felt like little needles most of the time. At the end, he topped it off with Tobridex (antibiotic and steroid). By the time I got to the car my eyes were burning, watering and red as could be, and felt like little sticks were poking my eyeballs. I had some itching for about 30 minutes or so, not severe. Things finally calmed down some about three hours later now. I'm not looking forward to having the permanent plugs put in, though the doc says those are much easier to insert than the collagen ones. I am going to try hard to forget the trauma of today (both physically and financially), and hope that my eyes start to feel better soon. I will now focus my stress on my dentist appointment tomorrow!
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Kitty! Sorry you had such a hard time. If the job is done right and helps, it's worth it, though.

I want to add my experiences to yours for people who have not had plugs before. I've had probably a total of 12 plug insertions over a period of 6 years. A couple were the temporary ones, but all others were permanent. Or, supposed to be permanent. I've had Herricks, most other types and lastly Odyssey (which seemed to fit me best). In all but one case, I had little discomfort with the insertions.

No doubt it's a combination of the doc's skill, our eyes, our tolerance and who knows what else! I usually had more problems from the anesthetic than the pain from the plug insertion. After a few times, I just told the doc to skip the anesthetic. I am not being "tough" here, but my discomfort from plugs just wasn't bad. Granted, it sounds like you had a tough time today and I hope your next experience won't be so traumatic!
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I think my discomfort was more from the anesthetic too, overall. Just like my teeth, the anesthetic numbs everything but the spot it is supposed to! Plus, it was just such a strange sensation having the plugs put in. I have never experienced anything quite like it. I'm sure the next time around will be easier, now knowing what to expect. Thanks for listening.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

plugs

The first time I had plugs inserted it was very uncomfortable. Then this past Wednesday, a new doctor I am seeing removed them (said they were actually deteriorating) and put new ones in. I didn't even feel the old ones removed nor the new ones put in. I think it really has to do with the doctor's skill and how old the anesthetic drops are. He is leaving these in for two weeks and will replace them with more permanent ones or cauterize me - my choice. Not sure yet which I will chose.

Comment

Originally posted by kitty
          Well, it has been a very interesting day. Don't want to scare anyone, but wanted to share what my experience was like. I went in to the eye doctor totally calm, cool and collected, looking forward at long last to starting the trial of the Herrick collagen plugs. Surprise, he did all four! He had a heck of a time getting the right size plugs, ended up using 3 different sizes between the 4 punctum, and making several attempts at the uppers. It took about 45 minutes from start to finish, with several doses of anesthetic drops. Even with them it felt like little needles most of the time. At the end, he topped it off with Tobridex (antibiotic and steroid). By the time I got to the car my eyes were burning, watering and red as could be, and felt like little sticks were poking my eyeballs. I had some itching for about 30 minutes or so, not severe. Things finally calmed down some about three hours later now. I'm not looking forward to having the permanent plugs put in, though the doc says those are much easier to insert than the collagen ones. I am going to try hard to forget the trauma of today (both physically and financially), and hope that my eyes start to feel better soon. I will now focus my stress on my dentist appointment tomorrow!
          Getting a good doctor to do it seems to be very important. They should not have hurt you the way they did. I am quite shocked that he did all four at once. I had the bottom two put in first and then a month late, a trial with one of my eyes double plugged and then both after another few weeks. I hope it works for you. Keep us posted on how you are getting on.

Comment

I have "permanent" plugs in the lowers. He was fast to temporarily plug all fours, but does not want to do the permanent ones in all fours. Why I do not know. My doc refuses to plug the uppers until he sees how I respond to Restasis. I'll know more in 4 months I would guess.

Comment

Why did he put temporary plugs n the lowers ones - you already have the permanent herricks in there dont you?

Comment

SusieD, we are talking too different episodes of plugging. The first time was in March when all four were temporarily plugged. I later had permanent plugs put in the lowers only.

Comment

Sorry Kitty - I didnt look at the dates! I though the doc had put in temporaries in on top of the permanent ones and was thinking 'what'?.

Sorry for confusion.

Comment

Sometimes gets understandably confusing when a thread that's been inactive for a few months gets revived.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

2 vs 4

In the past I had tried plugs before - but only on the lower two punctum, and found little/no relief whatsoever. Having ALL plugged seem to make a significant difference - it suprised me how many more tears were collecting. They had to fit the biggest size available, sometimes I wonder if having large puncta drained away too many tears in the first place and led to some of my problems.

I suffer from aqueous tear deficency (and chalasis) with intact "reflex" tearing, I've had 4 x plugs for a short while and have found them to improve comfort quite a bit. I have also seen some improvement in my nightime dryness problems. With the use of Tranquileyes, in the past couple of days I have woken up with less discomfort in my eyes (I used to wake up in the morning in extreme discomfort despite trying Lacrilube). I think I also think I suffer from sleeping with my eyes slightly open.

Comment

Working...
                      X