How long for plugs to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long for plugs to work?

Hi, I had plugs put in my lower ducts on Monday and just curious to know how long it takes to see the full benefit of having them in? I have noticed a slight improvement the last couple of days (the first day i was able to stay on the computer for a while longer without the aching sensation setting in) but not the more drastic relief i was hoping for. I've read other places on here that it make take a week or two to see full benefit...anybody on here experience this? A little info on me -- I am one month post-LASIK. My doctor said they should help a little (i'm also on alrex and using systane ultra drops). Have a follow up with him in 3 weeks.

Thanks!
    Last edited by eastvillny; 12-Aug-2010, 11:52.

What kind of plugs did you get? I noticed pretty much immediate relief, with maximum relief noted in a week or two. That is not to say that I was entirely comfortable by any means, just improved. At least the artificial tears stayed around longer when I had the plugs in. At one time I was quadriplugged. Had one upper removed as it was too much occlusion. 2 others migrated, don't know where they are. Still have one in the left eye. Unless you are acqueous deficient, they may never give huge relief, mild or moderate may be a more realistic expectation. Good luck!
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Thanks Kitty for your response. This whole post-lasik thing has been quite a rollercoaster. I guess I will give the plugs a little more time before making a judgment. I got 3-month temporary plugs (i think he said they were collagen?). The artificial tears definitely stay in a little longer, I guess I was hoping for a more noticeable effect...they still wear off rather quickly. My doc seemed to think these would help and I asked him if tear film was a problem and he said it was but not as much as the evaporation problem (i have big eyes, i guess that is part of the problem...?). Thanks again.

Comment

I have had a ton of experience with plugs. Have faith because the collegen temporary plugs are really not a great test of what plugs can do for you. For a plug to work properly it has to be very snug. It has to fit over your punctum hole very tightly so that no tears can drain down. Who knows how big the collegen disolving plugs are that they put in. They may a fraction of the size of your punctum. So, although this might be a general test for some, it is in no way indicitive of the comfort you can expect from plugs that are the proper size.

I had lower plugs put in first for a few months that were fit properly, and they did help. In my particular situation, I didn't have any real relief until I had all four punctums plugged. It's very individual. 2 real plugs may really help you as long as they are the correct size. The tighter the better.

Don't despair at all. This plug thing is difficult and time consuming. It take a lot of trial and error. Many physicians don't have a lot of interest in dry eyes. It is amazing. Doctors are not created equal here. You may have one doctor that isn't really interested in dry eyes but treats them. He may carry one size and brand of plugs and wouldn't go any further. He/she is probably much more interested in surgery which is much more lucrative. Then you might have another doctor with a keen interest in dry eyes. They may have several brands and sizes and will work with you until you find one that works for you. So if you can't find relief with one doctor, find another. It's a tedious process for a physician so the ones that truly care are usually willing to put in the time for you.

Good luck to you.

Comment

I had two temporary plugs put in about two weeks ago. I can't really tell if they're working or not. Sometimes I feel moisture on my eyes, but there's no true relief.

Good to know it's a trial and error thing, and plugs in the upper lids may offer additional help.

Comment

Hello,

I had dissolvable collagen plugs in which I noticed results same day and had much success after just 48-72 hours.

I now have silicone permanent plugs and it's been almost 3 weeks now and I've noticed little relief, if any.

Not sure this helps much, but goes to show even the same person can have different experiences with different plugs.

I hope you find relief!

Comment

Working...
            X