Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My L eye is the one with severe Kconus. I had the lower plug inserted, and it did help some, though I was still very uncomfortable and dry, just less so. But my problem was that the permanent plug was uncomfortable and rubbing the sclera from the get-go. After 5-6 months, the pain was pronounced and intolerable, so I had it removed. But I am thinking of having another inserted - or cautery - I don't know.
    Maria

Comment

Ahmed, Any idea which plugs might suit mgshutterbug with kerataconus? She is doc-shopping at the moment and this would help her decision who to go with. (Very nice diagram, liked that.) Again, with some of these patients it's about preserving the corneas and deciding risk/benefit. This is why it's more difficult.
      Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

A properly fitting plug should be painless/not noticable, whether its a formfit hydrogel or collagen softplug.

When I fit plugs, I use local anaesthetic eye drops, fit the plug, then let the patient wonder for 20 mins, let the anaesthetic wear off, then check the patient. Sometimes a plug will not be sitting perfectly, and I adjust it. Sometimes I remove it and fit a different type etc.

As for different types of plugs, I would leave that for your eye care professional, I personally dont like the deep intracanilicular types.

regards,

Ahmed.

Comment

Thank you littlemermaid and Ahmed. I appreciate both of your replies. The plug did provide some relief as far as keeping my eye a bit less dry, it was a worthwhile experiment. I think I'll try them again, rather than going the route of cautery yet. From what you say, Ahmed, there could have been several reasons that the plug was uncomfortable.

Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed View Post
            A properly fitting plug should be painless/not noticable, whether its a formfit hydrogel or collagen softplug.

When I fit plugs, I use local anaesthetic eye drops, fit the plug, then let the patient wonder for 20 mins, let the anaesthetic wear off, then check the patient. Sometimes a plug will not be sitting perfectly, and I adjust it. Sometimes I remove it and fit a different type etc.

As for different types of plugs, I would leave that for your eye care professional, I personally dont like the deep intracanilicular types.

regards,

Ahmed.

My Doctor just applies a couple of eye drops, and inserted the lower ducts, took less than 5 mins to insert 2.

Took a couple of days to adjust to it.

now hardly feel anything, to test if the ducts have dropped out, i will roll my eyes balls left and right to feel the plugs.

Going to try putting 2 more plugs on the top

Comment

Working...
            X