question about Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about Plugs

Yesterday I had one plug put in my right eye to help with dryness (post Lasik) by my surgeon. He didn't use a numbing drop, which was fine, cause it really didn't hurt. But my question is about the type of plug. He said it was a collagen disposable that should last up to 3 months. Sounded good to me. But doing more digging today, I can't find mention of a collagen disposable that lasts that long (typically only for days or a couple weeks, not months). Is there some newer product out there?

OK, I just found this post http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=5783. But it is two years old, and the only mention I've found on the web about the so called 3 month collagen plugs.

Can someone validate what I was told? Should I be concerned?

my local optometrist uses dissovable plugs that only last 3 weeks..but i hvae heard from other people that they have dissovable plugs that last 3 months.. so i think there may be different types..
    Jenny

Comment

I've had 3 month temp. plus as well... they do exist!

Comment

Hopefully Indrep will see this post and give a more complete answer. However, here is some info about just one brand of this type of plug. Call your doctor's office and ask what brand they used:

http://www.fci-ophthalmics.com/dry-eye-products

ProLong™ Absorbable Long-Term Punctum Plugs

ProLong™ absorbable long-term punctal plugs are used by physicians when treating short-term dry eye conditions and post-surgical dry eye symptoms. They are made of absorbable copolymer and can be expected to last up to three months.

* Absorbable copolymer
        * Last up to 3 months
        * Sterile
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Three month or 90 day plugs are all SYNTHETIC material. Collagen plugs are at best 2-5 day plugs. There is a plug that is advertised as six months that is a cellulose like in chewing gum and has very wide dissolving times, from 2 weeks to approximately 90 days. My experience has yet to find anyone that experienced a 6 month dissolution.

Comment

Working...
          X