Itchy after punctal plugs..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itchy after punctal plugs..

I am writing here because I had punctal plugs put in my lower ducts about a week ago and they are annoying me. I had Oasis plugs that go in the tear duct and last 3 months. The inner corners of my eyes feel itchy and although it is helping with the dry eyes, it is HELPING TOO MUCH. Now i have really watery eyes and although it doesn't drip down it collects in the corner of my eyes making it look like I have been crying. This is very bad for eyeliner cause it starts to smear. Odd thing I realize is that my nose has been running more and I figure that now that my tears are collecting in my eye its finding a way out through the top tear ducts??? I've had temporary plugs before and they helped somewhat but not enough so this time my doctor decided to put two plugs into one tear duct for more blockage. I do have more tears from the double plugs but too much, should I give it more time? Will the itch go away?? I can't stop rubbing!

Forgot to add..Do you think that the tear duct the plugs are in are irritated thus causing my nose to run..or do you think it is just draining through the top. I just hope its not causing swelling of any sort.
    Last edited by tootsieroll; 09-Nov-2010, 00:00.

RE: flow control punctal plugs

I believe that Eagle makes a flow control punctal plug. I've never tried them... and I don't know much about them... but maybe someone else has/does?

Comment

I would give the doctor a quick call and let him know you're having a lot of itching. It may be part of the healing process, but after a week I would think you wouldn't be itching that much. Plugs really aren't that invasive, so there isn't much healing to take place. I'm concerned it could (possibly) be an allergy to the material....???

If I had to wager a guess, I would agree that the runny nose is due to the epiphora and subsequent drainage out the upper puncta...just as you suspect. Mention this to the doctor as well to confirm.

If you have redness, discharge, mucus or fever...definitely call the doctor. These are signs of infection.

Comment

Working...
      X