Might be getting plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might be getting plugs

Hi Everyone hope you all are doing good. Well my doctor wants to put plugs in both eyes and of course I am scared out of my wits. Im on the Restasis and soon will be starting some new drops from the compounding pharmacy in California, they are Castor Oil Eye drops 2% solution. I spoke with Dr. Tabin and he said he wants to try the plugs to see if that will help with the Chronic Dry Eye, I was wondering how bad it hurts, and I wanted to know if my eyes will water bad? Please let me know everything you all know about getting plugs for your first time. Thank-you so much and Happy Spring Time. Your Buddy Delilah

Originally posted by Delilah
    Hi Everyone hope you all are doing good. Well my doctor wants to put plugs in both eyes and of course I am scared out of my wits. Im on the Restasis and soon will be starting some new drops from the compounding pharmacy in California, they are Castor Oil Eye drops 2% solution. I spoke with Dr. Tabin and he said he wants to try the plugs to see if that will help with the Chronic Dry Eye, I was wondering how bad it hurts, and I wanted to know if my eyes will water bad? Please let me know everything you all know about getting plugs for your first time. Thank-you so much and Happy Spring Time. Your Buddy Delilah
    Hi Delilah,

Hope you don't mind, I split this into a different thread because I am sure there are others going through the same thing and this makes it easier for them to find & read.

Personally I have never had problems with my eyes watering a lot after putting plugs in. Once or twice it was a little tough getting the plugs in. Depending on the type they probably have to stretch your puncta out a bit but they will anaesthetize you first. With silicone plugs, I could feel them if I turned my head a lot (like to back up the car or something). The only serious discomfort I ever had was when a plug was sticking out too far and scratched the white part of my eye, but that should not happen with a properly fitting plug.

You may want to discuss with your doctor the different types of plugs.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

If the plugs are the silicone type that are visible, sizing is critical. Smaller is better. If they are intracanalicular you want to be guaranteed you can get them out. I would shy away from a silicone intracanalicular plug.

If done properly and without any extinuating circumstances you should not have any discomfort during the procedure or after. If you have silicone plugs that are visible on the lid margin and you notice discomfort when looking down and across your nose let the doctor know so he can change something. Scratched corneas are also quite uncomfortable. You should not have a problem unless your lid margin is and punctum are facing your eye, turned in so to speak.

Good luck and give it 4-6 weeks for the increased tear film to help reverse the osmalarity of your tears.

Comment

Hi Delilah. Please see my plug posts about my experiences. The temporary ones were uncomfortable going in, I think mostly due to my doc's skill more than anything. The permanent ones were much easier. It's more comfortable (for me anyway) if the plugs are put in with me reclined back in the chair rather than being at the slit lamp. You can feel free to PM me for more info. I have had no excess tearing, and will probably go with a trial of 6 month dissolvable plugs in the uppers before committing to the permanent ones. Mine are the Herrick intracanalicular plugs.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I have had plugs with a cap on. My doc numbed it first, I never felt a thing and they were always comfortable. I was lucky, I guess.

Comment

The only thing to fear is fear itself....

Delilah, I forgot to mention one important thing. There is nothing to fear. If you do feel anything, it is not pain, it is just a strange sensation, like the first time any orifice is probed! I suggest you go online to the various plug manufacturer web sites and read up on the plug insertion procedure. If you can handle it, watch the videos. It really helps to know what to expect. When you go for the plugs, the doc will probably look at your punctum with the slit lamp to determine the correct size. Then the numbing drops go in. Then you just look away and voila. It's done. Not a big deal. Mind over matter.
            Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I've gotten plugs inserted several times and it never bothered me. A couple of times the person inserting them wasn't so deft and it still wasn't a big deal it just took a reeeaaally long time. Maybe it's because of years of contact lens use or I've been LASIKed but procedures with my eyes are no biggie to me, I'm totally used to them being messed with.

Comment

Originally posted by indrep
                You should not have a problem unless your lid margin is and punctum are facing your eye, turned in so to speak.

What do you mean by this - doesnt everyones punctum face their eyes? I mean I can't see mine unless I pull the lid down, so when my lids are in normal position the punctum does face the eye? ??

Comment

Thank-you Everyone

I really appreciate all of your information and advice, I am going to try to find some video's so I know what I am going to have to face. Once you get plugs do you have to have them forever? Does stretching the punctum ruin it? Im just worried I will "ruin" my eyes even worse than they all ready are, I think I might just give the restasis 6 months and if I am still the same by October then I will get plugs. My doctor wants to put them in ASAP, but I am still hesitant, I am a big baby when it comes to any procedure Thanks again Delilah

Comment

Whenever Ive had plugs put in - its definately been dependent on the doctor doing it, as to how uncomfortable its been. It is a strange sensation if they have to stretch the puncta - I was also worried this could damage but to be honest I dont believe this is the case. I have heard of loads of people who have this done and their plugs fell out because thier puncta 'adapts' to the plug. Some people just cant have them because of this.

It really depends how much your eyes are bothering you - benefits vs risks etc. When I first had them put in, my eyes were so horrible I didnt care if it was uncomfortable or not - I would have tried anything!

Comment

Delilah~I've had probably a dozen plugs inserted over a period of several years. I've had just about every kind there is inserted. In only ONE instance out of many, did I feel any discomfort. That one time was nothing to write about and no big deal.

After a couple of times, I even asked they don't use the anesthetic drops as sometimes it burned my eyes. Even without anesthesia, it didn't hurt.
                      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Im Not Getting Plugs No Way!!!!

Hello Everyone,
                        Well I've decided NOT to get plugs, I am not willing to deal with all the trouble, I've heard too much lol. My eyes are feeling better with the Castor Oil Eye Drops!! The strings are not as bad, my eyes are not as dry and I think I may have finally found some relief, the drops haven't taken all the pain and burning and dryness away but they have helped tremendously, I suggest you try the Castor Oil Eye drops from the compouding pharmacy, your doctor has to perscribe them, they are only like 30 bucks, I am still on Restasis as well, but I feel much better, I've only used the Castor Oil Eye drops for about 3 days now and they are wonderful

I just can't deal with a 2 hour drive to Salt Lake City every time I would have a problem with the plugs and I am willing to deal with my dry eyes and I am not giving up on a complete cure But I can't believe how good these Castor Oil Eye drops are working, they really soothe and put moisture back in, I recommend you all try it. I'll keep in touch. Ciao D

Comment

SusieD,
                          If your lids are in entropic, turned back toward your globe, then the silicone plugs that have an external component are more likely to rub your cornea when looking down and nasally.

Comment

Deliah,

If you go to the internet, you will hear horror stories about just about anything. It is usually only the people who have had bad experiences that come back to write about them. Trust me. Punctal plugs ARE the way to go and no, they aren't permanent. I got one of mine removed before I went on holiday to spain for two weeks and just got it put back in last Monday when I came back to work. They have solved my dry eye problem mostly and I believe they will be a permanent solution to it. I will try to find out what kind of plugs were put into my eyes. I know they were silicone ones and have heard bad things about ones that aren't silicone so make sure that they are silicone if you do it and temporary. My next appointment will be in about 3 weeks time. Hopefully, I should have some more info for you by then.

Comment

Danny,

Unless you are a credentialled medical professional I would like to ask you respectfully to refrain from urging on fellow users invasive procedures in such terms, especially if (as is the case here) they have already stated they are not comfortable with the risks.

Of course it is up to each and every user here to consult their doctors and follow their doctor's advice rather than simply embracing any treatment that they heard enthusiastically promoted on the internet. But that does not lessen the responsibility of each and ever user to show caution and consideration in advice they attempt to give others.

In short, be a plug proponent by all means if you choose, but please do it responsibly and with consideration.
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                              X