This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
    Especially in winter when the air is soooo dry, I use a q-tip to apply a thin layer of vaseline (petroleum jelly) inside my nose every night before bedtime.
    I've been doing this morning and night, and a couple of times during the day since I started using the Sterimar spray and it really helps. Results in less desert-like conditions! Unfortunately, the effect doesn't last very long and sticking Vaseline up my nose isn't exactly something I can do when out and about. I'm hoping to find something that will give a few hours relief.
    The eye altering, alters all - William Blake

Comment

Originally posted by Súil Eile View Post
      ...sticking Vaseline up my nose isn't exactly something I can do when out and about.
      Heehee... true... for example, doing this in the checkout line while shopping would definitely attract a few stares...... and then there's the logistical issues, like where do you put the q-tip when you're finished with it?

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
        Heehee... true... for example, doing this in the checkout line while shopping would definitely attract a few stares...... and then there's the logistical issues, like where do you put the q-tip when you're finished with it?
        Add in the goggles and you're guaranteed to raise a few eyebrows

Comment

Just a FYI, there is a possibility of petroleum jelly migrating to the lungs from nasal passages:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pet...-jelly/AN00947

You may want to be careful about the amount used or switch to a water soluble moisturizer for the nose

Comment

Originally posted by magoo View Post
            Just a FYI, there is a possibility of petroleum jelly migrating to the lungs from nasal passages:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pet...-jelly/AN00947

You may want to be careful about the amount used or switch to a water soluble moisturizer for the nose
            Luckily it's rare though... even water soluble ones can migrate to the lungs and cause problems if used too soon before lying down.

Comment

Dry nasal/sinus passages and punctal plug

Am glad to see some postings on this. I have one punctual plug, and immediately noticed the greatly increased dryness in that nostril. I wonder what it is doing to my sinuses. All I know is, it doesn't feel very good; but everything we do is a trade-off to treat all this. I've had the plug for 6 mos, I guess. I

Comment

I'm with you on that, Shutterbug! I can put up with a bit of nasal dryness if it means my eyes are more comfortable. Still, what would life be without the unending search for perfect health?

Comment

I got lower punctal plugs about 3 months ago. I developed a dryness in my nose and felt nasally as well afterwards. I feel this away just about everyday now, except for right when I wake up in the morning and for about an hour after. NOTE: I have mild Sleep Apnea and my CPAP machine has a heated humidifier, so that may be why I don't feel stuffy in the mornings. I asked my ophthalmologist about punctal plugs possibly causing dry sinus passages due to the lack of tears flowing into the nose. He said he didn't think it was a contributing factor to nasal issues. I got aggravated enough with the way I now felt that last month I went to my ENT (Ear, Nose & Throat) doctor to get his opinion. He's a very good ENT, well educated in his field and peripheral medicine related to his field. He examined me and said everything looked fine. This was the same ENT who worked a miracle on me when he performed septoplasty surgery on my left nostril back in 2009 and I just about threw away every sinus medication I ever used to take. I was disappointed with his diagnosis because I know how I feel now. It's the same way I used to feel when I had recurring sinus issues before the septoplasty surgery. I believe it's possible for what he saw to visually look good to him but not physically feel good to me. I see some evidence of this by the comments posted here. I'm afraid to get my upper ducts plugged, though I may have to in the future, for fear the sinus issue will just get worse. I even asked him if he thought plugging all 4 puncta would cause sinus issues and he said no. I don't believe he's giving me bad advice, I just believe the subtle differences in physiology from one human being to another can cause different results when we are subjected to the same set of circumstances. Hence, I believe that there are individuals out there that probably do fine with some or all puncta plugged and have no physical sinus issues because of it and others like myself and the posters above do experience sinus issues. I will try some of the nasal sprays suggested above and post my experience with them.

Comment

Working...
                  X