This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had 1 plug inserted to try

I just replied to another thread, but thought I would start my own to chronicle my plug experience.

I just got home from the doctor who inserted 1 Lower plug in my left (better) eye, and she's planning on leaving it in for 3 weeks to see if I like it - if so, she'll put 1 in the other eye. I don't know what kind it is, it's clear though. I can feel it when I move my eye a certain way, but besides that, not. I did not feel the procedure at all, it took her less than 5 minutes to fit my tear duct and insert the plug.

She told me that unless my eye gets really red right where the plug is, to try to give it a few days, but that if it's unbearable in any way, etc. to call her. She gave me her cell phone in case she's not in the office, as she works at other hospitals - or if it's a weekend. Her tech also has the same plug in and showed me hers, and told me that for the first few days she was aware of it, but that she now doesn't even know its there, and that it's made her much more comfortable.

I'm realllllly hoping it works, because then maybe it can help my other eye too, which is drier due to a pinguecula on it sucking up all my precious tears!

Edited to add - what is the going rate on these plugs? Mine cost $340 total for the plug and insertion. The doctor did not charge me an exam fee even though she checked my eyes and pressure in my right eye since I'm on Alrex currently to calm down an inflammed pinguecula. I unfortunately only have catastrophic insurance as my husband is waiting new insurance from his new job....

Day 2

Well, I almost don't want to say it out loud, but my eye did great yesterday. I still wore my goggles working outside and put in PF tears, but way less in the left eye as it didn't feel like it was needed and anytime I checked, my left eye looked great and had very little redness! Even late into the night.

I noticed that around 9, my right eye got very bloodshot and stingying and my left stayed clear and felt fine. I also noticed how much LONGER the PF tear stayed in my eye while it drained/evaporated away super quickly with the right.

I was very worried about sleeping as I sleep on my face as that's how I like to sleep, both sides throughout the night - but It was fine. I can still feel the plug ONLY if I move my left eye to the RIGHT, which is what the doctor said would happen.

I'm thinking if I continue to like it this much, I'll call the eye doctor and see if I can go back in sooner than 3 weeks for the right eye, which REALLY needs it! I think I'll give it until Monday which will be about a week almost and call. Keeping my fingers crossed that this positive experience continues!!!

Comment

Glad to hear your plug is going well. I could not live without them. The only warning I have for you regarding the plugs is that they are incredibly easy to rub out. Don't even think about putting your fingers within an inch of the plugs. I have lost 7 plugs this way and they are too expensive to loose by accident. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the warning!

I never rub my eyes during the daytime because I know that's BAD! But I have found myself doing it in my sleep before. I wear a sleep mask which helps, and I just recently starting putting in my Pataday drop BEFORE bed, and my eyes are much less itchy while I sleep.

I'm heading into the doctors soon for my right eye to get plugged. Still doing well, I have once or twice felt a very slight ache in my eye that lasted a few minutes, I think it has to be related to the plug but goes away. Will ask my doctor about that.

I agree with you, I'd hate to lose a plug because it seems to be working plus those things are expensive~! It'll be $680 by the time I've had them both plugged...

Comment

Hey Nanerpus, I was wondering if next time you go could you ask your doctor what brand your plug was? (Oasis, Odyssey, Eagle Vision, etc.) Since I’m also shopping around for punctal plugs. Thanks-Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

I'd be happy to, I'm going back in Tuesday for my other eye to get plugged. Hoping it all goes as easily as the first one did. I will certainly ask for the brand. All I know about it is that it's clear!

Audrey

Comment

Hi Mike, in response to your question the first plug put in was an Eagle. The other plug, in my right eye, was either a different brand or size or both, I forgot to ask what kind but this one is clear while the other one is a milky white color. Hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks for asking for me, so if I understand this right to have a clear Eagle plug in the left eye and unknown white plug in the right eye. Eagle Vision makes 4 silicon plugs from what I understand EAGLEPLUG, EAGLE FLEXPLUG, SUPERFLEX, and SUPEREAGLE. I would guess you probably have an Eagleplug simply because that’s there standard one. Not sure which ones are clear or not though, at least you gave me a little more faith in Eagle Vision though.

I went to another doctor today but turns out he only puts in dissolvable plugs and those only go up to .5mm which is too small for me so looks like the search continues…..

Comment

PRK,
                  The 90 day dissolvables are sized differently than long term plugs. The .5 90 day plug will expand in diameter up to 3 times its nonhydrated size.

Comment

Interesting, that’s the first time I’ve heard that….makes sense though. I guess what I meant to say was that I’ve had .4mm Duraplugs put in already and they didn’t seem to have much of an effect for me, at least in my left eye. Is there a specific brand that mentions the expansion of up to 3 times cause I might be willing to give dissolvables another shot if that’s the case?
                    Last edited by PRK; 21-Apr-2011, 13:15.

Comment

Yes, "Eagle" was the only thing I heard - I wish I had remembered to ask specifically! I feel as though the right clear plug is not keeping my tears in as well as the left one, and I plan on mentioning this at my checkup in a week. I'm not sure if the right eye (worse eye) is just more evaporative and/or my ping in that eye is sucking up the tears at a greater rate than the left.

Besides that, I continue to feel SO much better, it's back to my eyes not being very noticeable or stingy anymore - my allergies are bugging me still (itchy eyes) but the dried out feeling and burning/stingy is almost gone. I'm still instilling pf tears throughout the day, and wearing goggles faithfully while working outside, but on the whole doing TONS better! I definitely don't see this being a quick or complete fix, but it's really made a difference and I can't feel them unless I turn my eyes as far to one side as possible - other than that I never notice the plugs. Also, the insertion was painless and super quick, it took no time at all and I didn't even know she had put them in!

Comment

Well I’m glad to here that and I hope things continue to go well. Maybe I’ll be telling a similar story some day soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X