Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new and need advice for a decision!

Well, quick story on me. I had LASIK done over 10 years ago and I've had plugs in my eyes ever since as dry eyes resulted after LASIK. I've functioned with plugs by using Refresh Tears. I've taken them every where I go. For the most part, I've just gotten used to this lifestyle. Sometimes, I may have to use tears 5 or 6 times or more a day. Other times, I may not use them but 1 or 2 times. I always use drops right before getting into bed and I never wake up because my eyes are dry.

That's pretty much my routine. Last year, I lost a plug in the left eye and after a couple of tries my doctor found the correct size to replace. That's been working fine and I only feel it when I look to the right. But it's not really irritating my eyes and poses no real inconvenience to me. Still I have to use drops.

Last week, I lost the plug in my right eye. I found out about cautery after my left plug fell out. I've considered it now with the right plug out and I'm scheduled to go in for the procedure this Saturday. I found this forum and I've done some more reading and I'm having second thoughts. Mainly, I guess I'm concerned that the cautery won't work and the duct will reopen. I don't think I'm really concerned with infection or complications afterwards. I'm definitely not concerned about the permanence. My doctor is good, I believe, and he told me he's pretty thorough so I think he'll do a good job.

My main question is whether it's really worth it. If there's a chance that the duct will open again no matter how good my doctor is, I don't really think it's worth it. Plugs don't really bother me, but if cautery works and maybe works better than plugs to reduce how much I have to rely on artificial tears, it would be worth it.

Any advice or wisdom on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

hi there...I've been cauterized since January of 2003. It definitely "stuck". I do tear more than I'd like and have to blot quite frequently...but again, it's that way of life I've adjusted to. I'm functioning okay, and wouldn't change what I have done. I have a story on here somewhere about cautery...you can search for it.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
    X