Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can some one gives advise on the SMART PLUG?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can some one gives advise on the SMART PLUG?

I have 2 plugs on the bottom and very happy with them. i need to get upper plugs too but the problem is they rub on my eye ball .the doc recommended the smart plug. I heard it can get infected in there and there is no way to check on it. any advise? I am scared of the cautery. can i get 90 days collogen plug all the time? i need to know if the smart plugs are safe or no? thanks.

Originally posted by bp77 View Post
    I have 2 plugs on the bottom and very happy with them. i need to get upper plugs too but the problem is they rub on my eye ball .the doc recommended the smart plug. I heard it can get infected in there and there is no way to check on it. any advise? I am scared of the cautery. can i get 90 days collogen plug all the time? i need to know if the smart plugs are safe or no? thanks.
    Personally I don't like durable intracanalicular plugs at all because while the percentage of people that get complications is not high, the complications can be very serious when they happen and can do substantial damage to the eyelids. For SmartPlugs in particular, I have a particular grudge for a lot of reasons. There are many reports in the medical literature of complications. I have known people who had serious eyelid damages (requiring multiple surgeries) from them. And what I really hate is, I have heard of doctors re-plugging people over and over with these plugs without even knowing or caring whether the originals are still there. So personally, I like a plug where I can see it, unless it's a kind that will dissolve on its own. Speaking of which there are other dissolvable (non collagen) plugs that might be worth looking into.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

thank u so much for replying, can u tell the name of the other kind that disolves but is not collagen? i did not know they exist. thanks

Comment

Here’s a link to the PLUGS DIRECTORY there are all kinds of plug types there. You want the ones at the bottom of the page listed NON SILICONE INTRACANALICULAR PLUGS minus the Smartplug and the Oasis Form Fit plug which are "permanent" plugs.

Comment

Working...
        X