This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some advice, permanent plugs or cautery

My doctor cauterized the bottom tear ducts last month, the procedure hurt but its done with, and I am very happy.

I want the top cauterized but my doctor keeps insisting hes worried about tearing eye, I have done 5 trials of plugs and the only time i get relief is large caps closing all my tear ducts completely.

He has now said cautery is difficult to reverse, and hes concerned about the tearing eye. I just keep telling him I have put so much crap in my eye, from thick gel, to eye drops every day, to constant dry pain, i will take a teary eye. But he is more concerned about the teary eye then solving my dryness issues. Even though I have done numerous trials with plugs and 4 large plugs finally gave me relief.

So beyond me having to drive 2 hours to see him since nobody in my town does plugs (odd i know), he has now suggested putting in a plug that expands in the tear duct? Is anyone familiar with this?

He did a trial today in my one eye, he said its small and would not close the duct completely, again more trial runs. But he said if their is no overtearing (which there is not, he would put a bigger one in) No surprise I have no teary eye and I need more tears from this.

How do I approach this, he did say if i dont find it enough, he will put in a larger plug, but he may not be able to in my left because theirs so much scaring from all the trial plugs we did in the past, and what if he does not put a big enough permanent one in that gives me enough relief, then am i screwed, or are they easy to replace? I just want it sealed off and if their is scarring I really like cautery and it should be easy.

Has anyone had these plugs where they expand in your tear duct? Do they work good? And how permanent are they, assuming he can get it in my left duct? I am at the point i dont want to have to question if the plugs fell out or not if im having a bad dry day, with cautery i dont have those types of questions.

If anyone with experience with these type of plugs can comment.

And my doctor is great, its just heartbreaking that everytime i get excited about relief, he scales it back to more testing.

These are some questions I could discuss more with him, but he is extremely busy and spent overtime with me today discussing this. All I know is he has a viewpoint and i have one, and I would appreciate any experienced suggestions with these type of plugs for permanent dry eye relief.

I wouldn't worry about the excessive tearing. I carry a handkerchief and dab the eyes occasionally but the relief is worth it. I'm cauterized completely and I'm very happy as long as the cautery stays closed. I really don't know if the newer plugs are worth it. I went with cautery many years ago after exhausting every plug available. None would stay in place. Don't know if the technology has improved or not?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Im noticing this temp plugs cause occasional itchiness, foreign body sensation, i did not think these plugs were suppose to cause any discomfort compared to the old plugs that stick out but there is still some. I want to call this week and just request cautery again.

Comment

I also have all four cauterized and havent had any problems nor any excessive tearing. I hated the plugs...they irritated my eyes a lot!

Comment

Working...
        X