Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how long do smart plugs last (even if you get no relief from them)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long do smart plugs last (even if you get no relief from them)

i had smart plugs put in about a year ago-they didnt seem to help much and i assume they fell out or went somewhere into my body as i ended up getting regular plugs on top of them.. How do you know if the smart plug is still in the tear duct? do all smart plugs eventually disappear over time after a year or so?? thanks!!
    Jenny

smart plugs

I believe smart plugs are permanent.

Also, there is some increased risk of infection.

So, maybe you should ask to have them flushed out before placing another plug on top of them?

Comment

How do you know if the smart plug is still in the tear duct?
      You don't. Not unless you actually saw it come out before or see it flushed out.

Smart plugs often flush through by themselves. Mine did. The whole problem with that plug concept in my opinion is that you never really know. I have known plenty of people who have been re-plugged (some multiple times) and even cauterized post Smartplugs. Some got into serious trouble and others didn't. What to do now is a hard call. FYI, it is my understanding that having them irrigated out is not risk free either. I have heard of the stream itself basically placing pressure on a plug and forcing it somewhere it was not meant to go. Not trying to be a scaremonger - just saying caution and investigate further before proceeding . I would suggest asking indrep for some options and some questions to ask your doctor.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I am getting cautery that is why i am asking. i will ask my doc before the procedure.. i got the plugs 2.5 years ago-they never helped one bit. My previous doc said they most likely flused through my system.. thanks for the advice..
        Jenny

Comment

Jenny
          The "Smart"plug is blue and theoretically could be transilluminated to verify position.

Comment

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
            i had smart plugs put in about a year ago-they didnt seem to help much and i assume they fell out or went somewhere into my body as i ended up getting regular plugs on top of them.. How do you know if the smart plug is still in the tear duct? do all smart plugs eventually disappear over time after a year or so?? thanks!!
            Hi, i have permanent plugs put in last week also. it is odyssey plugs and not smart plugs.

For me to test whether the plugs are still in,

for the right eye plug : i will move my right eye to the left, i will be able to feel the plug
            for the left eye plug : i will move my left eye to the right, i will be able to feel the plug

Comment

Working...
            X