Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plug has come out a little a few times - pushed it back in....please advise!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug has come out a little a few times - pushed it back in....please advise!

I have 2 lower plugs for several months now doing fine. First, my doc put in my left one for a week to see if I could tolerate it/like it. Then the right eye plug, which at the visit she commented, "This might fall out, you may need another size up."

Since then, it has felt a bit like it was sticking out more a few times (2 or 3). I have taken the soft part of a clean finger and gently but firmly pushed it back down, and it has been fine since then. I will add I have had a few rechecks and the doctor said it looked fine (a different eye doc as I see 2).

Well, last night I couldn't help myself, I itched my lower lid and immediately felt it sticking up. I checked in the mirror and it was sticking out QUITE a lot. I again, washed my hands, and pushed it back in. Feels and looks just fine since then.

Do I call the doctor and get it? Did this loosen or weaken the connection/plug in there? Or just see what happens. I have a big horse competition next Weds-all week, and am worried about something happening while I am away!

Anybody have experiences like this? If it comes out, will it stay half in and half out scratching my eye or will I be able to pull it the rest of the way out? that is my biggest fear, getting it stuck half in and half out....

Nanerpus
    This happens frequently when the plug is too LARGE. A smaller size would be held in by the sphincter muscle of the punctal ring.

Comment

Will it ever come halfway out and get STUCK? I'm so worried about that...if it gets stuck and then scratch my eye and I can't get it out....

Comment

Nanerpus
        If it comes halfway out and stays it can be reinserted as you described. The drawback is if it comes partially out is it is easier to be completely pulled out.

Comment

Ok great...so worst case scenario I can't push it back in and it just comes all the way out and then I need to spend another $400 for a new one? I'm feeling more assured now. I had a horrible itch and it was bad and I couldn't help but itch it, and I learned my lesson. Still in...so far so good! Indrep, thank you sincerely for your knowledge, I really appreciate it!

Comment

One last word of precaution. DO NOT use an instrument of any kind to push the plug back into place. It would not be good to push it in beyond where it is designed to be inserted.

Comment

No no...I just wash my hands and using one finger, use the smooth end of a finger (not the nail) to gently push it down, it doesn't seem to need much pressure. I would never try that anyways as I'd probably miss and stab myself in the eyeball!

Comment

I tried to just leave smiley and said I needed more words.

Comment

If plug continually rubs sclera, causing significant discomfort, does that mean plug is wrong size, wrong type, not inserted all the way. I had mine for 6 mos. in lower lid, finally got to the point I could no longer tolerate it. I was thinking of having plugs inserted again, but am concerned same thing will happen.

Comment

The issue could be from the items mentioned. Usually it is the anatomy of the lids that cause the issue. the lid is slightly turned in toward the eye causing the discomfort.

Comment

Working...
                    X