This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punctal plug removal distress

So I went to the optometrist today. The one remaining punctal plug I had put in was really bothering me. He tried to remove it, but the top portion broke off. Now it's stuck in the puncta. He said it's not bothering you now is it? Well, not anymore, but I'm afraid it will become dislodged and go all the way down the gland. Any suggestions as what to do? Distressed... I'm really giving up hope. I feel like it's one step forward and two steps back.

I had many plugs "fall into" the canal/gland before I went to cautery. All of them migrated through the canaliculus to the back of my mouth and into my stomach. I wouldn't worry about the broken plug. It should migrate. I'm surprised the doctor didn't try to irrigate and flush the plug out.

Comment

In most cases the plug will stay right where it is.

If the stress is too much, I would consider going to an ophthalmologist who might have different methods and comfort level in removing the "anchor" part of the plug.

Comment

Thank you for your quick replies. I'm going to talk to an ophthamologist next week to see what they say. I've heard horror stories about them getting stuck/infected and then having to have surgery to remove it. One more thing to stress about.

Comment

Working...
        X