Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cauterized eye still very dry-how can the doc use dye to test it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cauterized eye still very dry-how can the doc use dye to test it?

i read on here that the doc can use a dye to test if the cautery has reopened? can someone explain that? also i understand saline can be used but then i read that can cause the puncta to reopen?? I had cautery done on my upper left puncta about 3 months ago and although i have had 2 docs tell me its closed (they look through the slit lamp) I swear it has to be open-my eye is constantly dry-I do have sjogrens but before when i had a plug in that puncta i would have days of overtearing.. My right eye seems to feel fine but the left where i had cautery is so dry. Could cautery somehow cause more damage??

Jenny
    Jenny

Jenny,

The puncta are the opening of the "drain" of the eye, the fluid continues in a tube to your nasal cavity, then to the back of your throat.

The doctor can put a dye on the surface of your eye, and if the puncta is allowing fluid in, IE its not completely cauterized or blocked, then the dye will pass with the fluid into your nose, then throat.

A burton lamp can be used to shine either into your mouth, or ask the patient to blow into a tissue and the contents examined, if dye is present either in your throat or on the tissue, then the puncta are not blocked. There are other ways, such as using a catheter to inject a concetrated saline solution into the puncta and seeing if you can taste it reaching your throat.

Also bear in mind that each eye has 2 puncta, one lower and one upper.

I hope that helps you understand.

Cauterization is not known to increase dryness as far as im aware.

regards,

Ahmed.

Comment

Working...
    X