This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfortable Perm Plugs

Does anyone have experience with any "permanent" punctal plugs that are comfortable and do not create a foreign-body sensation? (I have the word "permanent" in quotes because I realize there are not any truly permanent plugs).

Georgia,
    There are some "long term" plugs that 99% of the time do not have foreign body sensation. These plugs are "intracanalicular" meaning they are completely inserted into the drainage canal (canaliculus). Many of these type of plugs have had severe consequences and are generally not the first choice of doctors.

That leaves the silicone type of plug as the first choice. Most manufacturers of plugs today use a very soft silicone and have significantly reduced the size of the cap that sits on the lid margin. The human anatomy however has not been so willing to change. Depending on a person's lid anatomy and skin sensitivity no silicone plug may be comfortable.

If silicone plugs have been tried that leaves two options, the intracanalicular plugs discussed above and 90 day dissolvable plugs inserted every 85-100 days. If the long term intracanalicular plugs are chosen please do your research on which ones have caused issues.

Comment

Indrep,

In terms of Intracanalicular plugs, I have heard that there are 2 different types--"hard"/solid and "soft"/hydrogel, and that the "soft" ones can be removed without cutting like the "hard" ones (and are therefore safer, but I do not know if the degree of occlusion is the same). Do you know how I could find current information on the different types/brands of Intracanalicular plugs? Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X