This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper punctal plugs and restasis

I currently have punctal plugs in my lower puncta which have done nothing for my eye dry. My consultant has suggested Restasis I said I preferred to have my upper puncta plugged as I had read some bad things about Restasis side effects. I've been told that it is best not to use Restasis in conjunction with plugs, is this correct?

Has anyone on here had both puncta in an eye plugged and used Restasis at the same time. I would also like to here people's thoughts on the effectiveness of Restasis and any possible side effects they have encountered. I don't know if this is relevant but the cause of my dry eye was LASIK surgery. I'd really appreciate any advice you guys can offer.

Anyone able to help?

Comment

I used Restasis with lower plugs for almost 8 months after Lasik. It always burned my eyes even when I would use rewetting drops before and after to help alleviate the burning. I quit using Restasis on my own and my eyes felt better. I really don't know if it worked for me or not. All the commercials say it's not meant to be used with plugs but all the doctors seem to ignore that. If I really run into problems I would consider trying again. (I have a bunch leftover.) Good luck!

Comment

I used Restasis for three years. I couldn't tell if it helped at all. I also had lower plugs at the time. I had two sets of plugs, and they both fell out. My new doctor cauterized my upper right plug and my lower left plug. He also cauterized my lower left, but opened it back up when I had too much tear flow. He recommends this, due to plugs having a tendancy to fall out, and also can be a source of bacteria. Every doctor is different.

I had a LOT of problems, but I am now in good shape. You can read my past posts for a history. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll see if my consultant is willing to plug my upper duct and let me use Restasis. Cafe41 can I ask how long it took for your LASIK dry eye to get better?

Comment

I would say around 8 months I was able to cut back on using drops durning the day. I still use Refresh PM at night (quit the night goggles about a week ago). If I wake up in the middle of the night I will put drops in and upon waking in the morning. It took a long time and my eyes are still dry (they were on the dry side before Lasik) but it is more annoying now and I also am having allergies so it may be a combo of a few things. I really believe I will keep improving and have read stories on this website that people experience healing even 2+ years later. I try to keep my eyes really clean to avoid MGD which I think I experience for several months. It does get better even though it's hard to believe when you are at your worst

Comment

Thanks for that. It's always good to hear that people are still improving more than 6 months out. I think at times I'm guilty of reading too many of the horror stories about LASIK dry eye that are out there!

Comment

Just a thought, as far as plugs and Restasis, I believe that Restasis was not tested in people with punctal plugs, and thats why they make the statement about it not being found to increase the tears in people using plugs, at least that's how it was explained to me, cause I had the same question, it also mentions not increasing tears in those using Steroid drops, but lots of people use both, and I was using both at times while I was on the Restasis too, I stopped it, because it was burning so bad and not helping. Good luck, It does work for some people, I hope you are helped by it.

Comment

Hi robster, I'm using Restasis and have all four puncta's plugged. The suggestion that Restasis is not effective with plugs is based on weak science. A more recent study suggests that Plugs combined with Restasis is more effective than either Plugs or Restasis alone....

A study was recently conducted to evaluate the possible additive effects of Restasis and punctal plugs in patients with dry-eye syndrome. The study included three treatment groups: plugs alone, Restasis alone, and both plugs and Restasis.
                  The combination group had statistically better outcomes than either of the two monotherapy groups. Interestingly, the Restasis alone group did better than the plugs alone group.
                  - For more information: http://www.eyeworld.org/ewsupplementarticle.php?id=129

Comment

Interesting stuff thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                    X