This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punctual Plugs- Yes or No?

I have an appointment tomorrow to get punctual plugs.... I can't decide if I should move forward with this. I have RCE (consistently for the last 6 months) and the doctor thinks that if i get the plugs, it may help heal my erosions as I will have more moisture in my eye at night. I am afraid to get a foreign object in my eye as what if it falls out and scratches my cornea and makes my erosions worse. I have been reading about the inflammation and other various effects and am not sure if I should move forward with this procedure. Please give me your advice or feedback if you have gotten the plugs. Thanks in advance! Jen

Hey there,

You should go forward with it. Plugs have helped me a lot and they should help you with ur RCEs. If your afraid of them falling into your eye then you cam get temporary intracranular ones that sit inside your sinuses, dont really move anywhere and get absorbed by your body in about a month. It would also help you decide whether or not to get silicone semipermanent plugs

Comment

Yes. The relief they gave me was instant. I did have to get all 4 done. Just the lowers didn't do much. I had the plugs fall out lots of times. a couple ended up in the corner of my eye, but they're soft and pliable and I just took them out.

good luck, Jen.

Comment

Thank you both for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

Comment

Jen, what have you tried successfully? Follow up?

Hi Jen, I have been searching this site for a few days now to find someone whose symptoms mirror my own. Like you, my problems are primarily at night and I am having recurrent corneal abrasions. My symptoms started abruptly about a month ago and I no longer am able to sleep without going to the bathroom to reheat my compresses (especially the TranquilEyes) and to put drops into my eyes about every hour. I really don't know how so many people seem to be living with this on a daily (and yearly) basis.

Did you go through with the plugs? If so, what kind and are they permanent? Did they relieve your symptoms completely? I have a fourth opthamologist to visit tomorrow. Are there any questions you think might be relevant for me to ask? I am on thyroid and hormone replacement medications. I can't help but wonder if they are a factor.

I am hoping you have had a total "cure" and might be able to shed some light for those who are yet to walk this path.

Warm regards,
          Janet

Comment

Hi Emeraldile,

There are some questions to ask your doctor every time you see him/her. The questions are

1) How is my tear quantity?
            2) Do you see any dry spots?
            3) Can you check for staining?
            4) Can you press on my meibomian (oil) glands? Are they releasing oil? Is the oil clear and flowing freely? If not, what does it look like?
            5) Do you see any signs of allergies?
            6) Do I have any lid closure problems (e.g., lagophthalmous)?

The answers will help point toward the "correct" treatment (keeping in mind there's always wiggle room).

Also try to read as much as you can from the Dry Eye Zone homepage (http://www.dryeyezone.com/). For instance, there is a page on Dry Eye at Night (http://www.dryeyezone.com/encycloped...rotection.html). This is my main symptom and I *must* do a few things to help minimize pain (and maximize sleep!!!).

And to answer your question regarding medications: Yes, medications can dry the eyes. I find birth control pills to be very drying to my eyes, and there is published research that HRT dries eyes. Please mention everything (including medications) to your doctor.

I would recommend that after you see the ophthalmologist tomorrow, create a new thread telling us your main symptoms, what the doctor said, etc. I hope you find relief very soon!

Cheers.

Comment

I hope you didn't do it. I am in the process of looking for an oculoplastic surgeon to have my surgically removed. I've had an infection in my eye for almost a year now and it won't respond to antibiotics because the PLUG is the source of the infection.

Comment

Working...
              X