Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Give your eyes a few days to adjust to plugs!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give your eyes a few days to adjust to plugs!

I got both lower puncta plugged last week, and the next day my conjunctiva near the plug was red and inflammed, particularly in my left eye. I was also very conscious of the plugs, and noticed them whenever I looked peripherally. I was about to go back and get them removed when I decided to give it a few days. It got better slowly and now, five days later, all the redness is gone and I can't even tell that I have plugs anymore (well, except for some increased wetness).

I'm not really sure how the eye adjusts to plugs, since it's not like the plug moves further into the puncta or anything, but somehow the body just accepts it I guess.

So unless you're in a lot of pain, I'd encourage everyone to give their plugs a few days before they decide to have removed.

I completely agree. I was also about to go get mine removed the day after I got them inserted, but I decided to go through the weekend, and see how things went then. And like Flick, my irritation seemed to diminish.

Flick, do you think you are going to get upper plugs eventually? I am debating on whether or not I want to because I dont want to get tear overflow, have to get them removed, and have wasted alot of money.

It is amazing how expensive something so simple as a punctal plug is!!!

Comment

If you are considering plugging the uppers, you might want to try a temporary dissolvable one that lasts 6 months. That way you can get the idea of how they will work out for you over time before committing to the "permanent" ones. There are also some that are designed to allow a bit of tear drainage and these can be helpful for those who 4 plugs are too much but two are not enough. Much of this is trial and error for sure. I have been begging my doc for permanent uppers. He will only do it if I do the 6 month temporaries first. My situation is a bit different perhaps in that I am using the intracanalicular plugs rather than the punctal plugs that protrude a bit from the punctum.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to try uppers next I think. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

What is difference betw tracanalicular & punctal plugs?

How do I know what i have?

Comment

new to plugs

I was having DES problems and the doctor wanted me to try plugs. I read the mixed results here on this website. So I wouldn't do it! Eye pain got worse so I finally agreed to bottom to be plugged with 3 months Oasis. The doctor showed me, the plugs are blue foam like plugs and the plugs are installed into the tear duct, so no one can see them. The plugs form fit to the tear duct, expand in 10 minutes to fit.

On Thursday, Nov. 9th - I had the top plugged.

As for me, there has been a good change.

To be honest, I am still NOT thrilled about the thought of having something artificial stuck in my tear ducts but my eyes do seem better!

Anyway, so far so good!

Comment

I have traditional plugs put in, but my newest doctor buried them further in to where no part of the plug touches my eye. My tear duct sits angled in more than other people's, so when the first doctor put them in they scratched my eyes and caused major problems. He tried 3 different times with different sizes. The new doctor I go to simply buried them further in and I've had them for 2 years with no problems. If I need them out he will simply flush them out. I had him do this once to see if plugs were creating an increase in itching. Well, they were, but I take the itching over the pain of the dryness without the plugs. I use an allergy/anti-itch drop on days that my eyes are itchy.

Comment

Just had 1 plug inserted

I just got home from the doctor who inserted 1 plug in my left (better) eye, and she's planning on leaving it in for 3 weeks to see if I like it - if so, she'll put 1 in the other eye. I don't know what kind it is, it's clear though. I can feel it when I move my eye a certain way, but besides that, not.

She told me that unless my eye gets really red right where the plug is, to try to give it a few days, but that if it's unbearable in any way, etc. to call her. She gave me her cell phone in case she's not in the office, as she works at other hospitals - or if it's a weekend.

I'm realllllly hoping it works, because maybe it can help my other eye too, which is drier due to a pinguecula on it sucking up all my precious tears!

Comment

Working...
                X