X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugs and Congestion/Sinus Problems?

Hi everyone,

I recently got 2 lower plugs in my eyes, for dry eye relief. The relief was good, but not great, so I went in and got 2 more plugs put in my upper eyelids. I've had some watery eye, but my dryness has really gone down.

However, since I've had all 4 plugs in, I've been having non-stop nasal congestion issues. And the congestion is much higher than a typical cold, it feel like it is just under my eyelids.

I don't know how the plugs could be causing congestion, but I really think that they are. I read somewhere that you can blow your nose and get bacteria up there, which may cause sinus infections.

I've also been having pain in my left eye upon waking in the morning certain days.... it feels like there is a "pocket" of dry air under my eyelid, and when I open my eyes in the morning, it almost feels like there is a layer being pulled away under my eyelid, causing pain.

Does this second issue ring a bell with anyone? Its no fun, and I'm considering getting the upper plugs taken out. However Id hate to do that and then realize it was not related to these problems at all. Thus my question.

Thanks a lot in advance!

James

Hi, I have all four tear ducts in too and I have the same issues with sinus infections. I have had three since I've had my plugs put in and prior to the three, I have never had a sinus infection in my life. I do think there is a connection to the plugs and sinuses but I am not sure what.

Comment

Perhaps not having the moisture from tears draining into the nasal cavity sets it up for infection? Maybe the tears help the drainage, help keep the cilia moist so it can carry bacteria out. This is all just conjecture on my part.

Comment

I definitely noticed a difference once all 4 puncta were closed off - more dryness and congestion for sure. In summer it's not too bad, but during the dry winter it's noticeably worse - what helps me a lot is to use a saline rinse regularly throughout the winter - it gets extra moisture in there and helps alleviate the congesion. In summer, I only use the saline rinses if needed. NeilMed makes a line of sinus saline rinse products that I just love... netipots, saline in an aerosol spray etc.

Comment

Working...
        X