New Lower Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Lower Plugs

I am a dry eye sufferer as a result of Lasik from this past January. I just had lower plugs put in this morning. For those of you who have plugs, did you find immediate relief? So far I can't tell the difference. Can they help over time?

Not immediate relief - took about 3 days for me to feel a difference. Hope they help.

Comment

Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback. Do you just have lower?

Comment

I've had my current lower plugs for about a year and as of yesterday afternoon I have temporary uppers. Per my eye doc my tear ducts are opposite of most others. My uppers are larger then my lowers so he wants me to have laser cautery on them. I'm trying the upper plugs to see if i will get over-tearing like I did a few years ago since I don't want that either.

Comment

After the numbness has worn off, the plugs seem to cause a lot of discomfort? Does that go away in a few days?

Comment

Laura, there's sometimes soreness from the dilation process when they're inserting them. It should subside within a couple of days.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Laura,

I remember the lower plugs causing some irritation after insertion. That sensation gradually decreased. I hardly notice the lower plugs now. Are you noticing any moisture? I was thinking about you today and hoping you would get some relief.
              Bianca
              Lasik victim 2012

Comment

It seems they are rubbing alongside my eye. Is that seem normal?

Comment

I could feel mine only when I moved my eyes far right and far left.
                  Lasik victim 2012

Comment

Did the discomfort eventually go away. What kind of plugs did they use? I had the umbrella type plugs put in - so you can actually see the tops of them.

Comment

Lori,
                      My plugs are in the duct. The doctor called them cannilicular(sp) plugs. I can't see the tops. The discomfort did go away.
                      Lasik victim 2012

Comment

Originally posted by LauraK View Post
                        It seems they are rubbing alongside my eye. Is that seem normal?
                        Laura, another possibility is they are sticking out too far and rubbing where they shouldn't. Happened to me once, about ten years ago, with an umbrella type plug. Basically scratching my eye. If you think that's a possibility I'd get back in to the doc and have them look at it.

There was a really good study about plug complications published recently, where they added up all the literature on plug complications. One of the points they made in it is that sizing is a huge issue and that many of the problems that occur with plugs are due to the technique doctors do (or don't) follow to determine the appropriate size.
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Rebecca. I am supposed to go back to him early next week. It seems worse towards end of day, perhaps due to eyes getting dryer and more sensitive.

Comment

I had those types put in, and they were rubbing against my eye and everything, and apparently i was having an allergic reaction to the sillicon.

Now i have tempororay plugs that disolve in 6 months, they go completely in the duct, so you can't feel or see them.

Comment

Working...
                            X