Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Punctual plugs do they work - can they be fitted to one eye only? does it stop pain?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punctual plugs do they work - can they be fitted to one eye only? does it stop pain?

Hello. I have had dry eyes, MGD and blepharitis for 6 months following cataract surgery. My right eye is worst affected, tear production only a quarter that of my left eye. The pain is awful in my right eye most of the day, and i use Systane UD artificial tears in my right eye 5 or 6 times a day. My consultant has suggested punctual plugs, would that stop the eye pain? Has anyone had a similar experience.

If your pain is ONLY caused by dry eye, then the punctal plugs will help. Yes, you can insert it in one eye only.

I have upper and lower plugs in both eyes, and they do help.

Hope you'll feel better!

Comment

My ophth inserted a plug in my lower R eye without even asking me, or explaining what he was doing! It did keep the tears in some, but I still had an exceedingly dry eye, and continued to get RCEs. The one I had hurt from the minute he put it in, and pain got worse over the next 6 mos when I finally had it removed. It rubbed my eyelid, hurt every time I blinked. That may be an atypical experience; I don't think we've had a poll on that. Might be interesting to find the consensus. It's possible that the wrong size plug was inserted, or the wrong brand, have no idea. But I would not get them again. From what I have read in this forum, infection is not uncommon with the plugs. But again, this was just my experience. I wish you well.

Maria

Comment

Punctal plugs drop out. It's for you to decide, I 'd go to a pharmacy and ask him for some small tubes of saline, or sterile water used for injections and keep your eyes moist with that. You might be allergic to the drops, use the water one day, and saline the next day. The cost pennies. I have had no success with eye drops and must have a 100 Viscotears in the house that I'll never ever use.

Comment

Working...
        X