Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How have punctal plugs worked for you?

I had the lower eye plugged for 6 mos. My eye was a little less dry, but I was in constant discomfort from the plug rubbing against my eyelid, and feeling it every time I blinked. Eventually it became downright painful. May have been the brand of plug, who knows? But I would not do it again. I still had severe dry eye, burning eyes, blurry vision. And based on what I've read on this forum, there's a significant danger of infection, sometimes requiring surgery. That's too much risk for me.

Maria

Hi, Maria
    punctal plugs has not worked for me at all.
    Regards.

Comment

Nothing helped until I had both upper and lowers plugged. Uppers are now cauterized, lowers plugged with removable silicone ones. I have had trouble with on popping out so need to get a custom fit one ordered for that eye. Currently have a long term dissolvable one but it is not really satisfactory. Have never had problems with the silicone ones rubbing but the uppers that I first had drove me crazy. Maybe it is the type of plug or maybe it is the anatomy of your eye. You might try another type before you give up for good, starting with just one eye to make sure they are going to work for you. I don't recommend non removable ones though unless they are dissolvable

What I do know for sure though is I will never be without plugs again...F/G

Comment

I had plugs put in a couple of years ago and they didn't work so I took them out. My eyes were in pretty bad shape back then, but are better now. I just had some new plugs put in last month and they are working pretty well and only felt uncomfortable the first few days. I have an appointment next week, and am hoping the doctor will plug the tops too. If I am still dry by June, will have the tops cauterized, but think I will leave the bottoms with plugs, just in case. Good questions shutterbug and a lot to think about.

Comment

before using plugs (2 x lower), was using Restasis,
          schrimmer score is 2mm

After using plugs (2 x lower) + Restasis, + BioTears capsules
          schrimmer improved to 12mm after a year

I only feel the plugs, when i roll my eyes to the extreme left or right, else hardly feel anything.

Comment

I have bottom only and like them. I can def feel more tears, especially when I yawn or close my eyes tight. All 4 were way too much tears and not enough oil layer so they felt way worse.

Comment

I used the 3 months dissolvable plugs called DuraPlugs in all four punctas....they did not work at all.

Comment

I feel having all four plugs has improved my symptoms. they are still bad...I still need to put drops in every 15 minutes.
                but they look and feel better from when i only had 2 in or none in at all.

Comment

I have had this problem for a year and a half and just got plugs a week ago lol. The plugs are not a cure, but they for sure help and for me were worth the money. I have silicone plugs in my lowers and dissolveable ones in the top. (The silicone ones pop out to easy to be put in my tops) I suffer from MGD pretty bad but so far, plugs seem to be helping... Which is weird.

Comment

I haven't completely made up my mind regarding plugs just yet. I did a trial run with collagen in my lowers and extended duration in my uppers. I got about a 30-40% improvement regarding my dryness. After about 10 days my eyes felt worse again, I believe my lowers completely dissolved. I then had silicone plugs put into my lowers and got about a 50% improvement, but still felt really dry. Last week I had my uppers plugged with silicone and I improved about 60%, what's strange is 20% of the time my eyes seem to secrete gunk that flows to my top lids, the other 20% of the time they still feel dry. There are 2 side effects that I don't like about the plugs, first off, I can feel them, and secondly my eyes seem to burn more than before. I think i have salty tears. I had a Tear Osmolarity test and got 305 and 311 in my eyes.

Comment

I have had 2 sets of plug in my lowers. The last set fell out after three weeks. There was an iimprovement. Now I am scheduled to get my uppers cauterized on April 15. Plugs do not stay in for me. Although, the short time they were in, I was not able to feel them at all.

Comment

Glenda, as I'm typing this it's April 14 and I realize that you're going in for your cautery tomorrow. First, good luck and best wishes! Secondly, will you please please either post or message me regarding how you like having your uppers cauterized? I'm considering doing the same and would like to know to what extent having the uppers cauterized will help. Do you have anything in your lowers (plugs or cautery?), or are your lowers completely open? Again, thank you in advance and best of luck!

Zuzu

Comment

Dry Eye plugs

I've had plugs and the upper cauterized. Neither one helped. When you don't have enough tears in your eyes or they have poor quality tears, the plugs do not help.

Comment

Punctal Plugs

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
                            I've had plugs and the upper cauterized. Neither one helped. When you don't have enough tears in your eyes or they have poor quality tears, the plugs do not help.
                            I agree. I had lower plugs inserted January 25, 2014. The plugs only helped me by keeping the lubricating eye drops in my eyes a bit longer than without plugs. Better than nothing I guess.

Comment

RCK
                              Punctal plugs in both lower lids. I am a corneal dystrophy patient, map-dot-fingerprint type also called anterior basement membrane corneal dystrophy (ABMD). I've had good results . With my type of dystrophy, it's critical to keep the eyes lubricated. The plugs definitely help although I also use lubricants. The plugs do fall out sometimes and have to be replaced. This may be a result of the dystrophy. Overall, I have found them very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X