Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hydrogel punctal plugs.. Anybody tried them and how long will they last...?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrogel punctal plugs.. Anybody tried them and how long will they last...?

I recently was diagnosed with dry eye syndrome but could be more seasonal dry eye... My Optometrist has suggested inserting Hydrogel punctal plugs in my lower eyelids, as they are a low risk plug and can be irrigated through the nasal passage if they become irritating... I also have Mydriasis (enlarged pupils) and need to take this into consideration as well..

As this is my first time to have punctal plugs inserted I'm a little lost to which plugs work the best, as there are so many punctal plugs to choose from..? I had hoped the Hydrogel punctals would last at least 6 months or longer..?

Any support or education on Hydrogel punctal plugs would be very appreciated... Mike from New Zealand

Those plugs, if Form Fit, are designed to be "long term" or permanent plugs. My wife has had them in for almost 8 years, since they were first introduced. She recently said that she though one had migrated out. The good news with other therapies her eyes are in far better shape than 8 years ago and she is doing fine.

I only have one suggestion, should it need to come out have the doctor dilate the punctal ring and use a Q-tip to massage up and out.

Comment

Oh, thank you for this wonderful reply....

I've spent all today searching the internet with very little luck other than the Form Fit Hydrogel punctal plugs are new and one of the easiest plugs to insert.. Even emailed a friend in the US as she has bad Sjogren's but even she hadn't heard of them..

I have spastic Cerebral Palsy and it's very difficult to keep my head still, unless my head is bolted into a "metal halo"..! I think I'll be fine if my brother comes with me and puts me in a headlock, to have the plugs inserted... This was my main reason for asking if they are a long-term punctal plug.. Again, thanks awfully for the tip on using a Q-tip and massage the plug out if necessary, so I'll print this page out for my medical records..

I'm feeling quite relieved now that I've read your post and much happier I don't have to go through this procedure too often.. Wow..! You have just made my day indrep..

Take care and warm blessings - Mike

Comment

Working...
      X