Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cauterizing Lower Puncta - Is It Worth It?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cauterizing Lower Puncta - Is It Worth It?

Hello everyone, I have been reading several posts on cauterizing lately and have been considering doing it myself. I just had to get a plug removed from my lower left punctum due to an infection and was told by my doctor it would not be a good idea to use plugs anymore in that eye.

So to all the people who have had cautery - is it worth it?

I would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Hi Dave,
    Years ago I had my upper puncta cauterized (plugs kept coming out) and that made my eyes great! Really helped my dry eyes. My eyes became a little "too teary" but this was ok for me since it was SO much better than the misery of the dry eyes. (Now, years later, I am considering having my lowers cauterized as well, since my eyes got messed up recently from a bout with conjunctivitis...Have had plugs put in the lowers 3 times in the last month and they keep coming out. Want to get them cauterized, but then I would have 4 cauterized puncta, and that permanence sort of scares me....)
    You posted on May 21, did you make a decision yet about cauterization? Ashley

Comment

Originally posted by dave25 View Post
      Hello everyone, I have been reading several posts on cauterizing lately and have been considering doing it myself. I just had to get a plug removed from my lower left punctum due to an infection and was told by my doctor it would not be a good idea to use plugs anymore in that eye.

So to all the people who have had cautery - is it worth it?

I would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
      For me, I was super nervous about getting it done, but in the big scheme of things, it wasn't a big deal in the end. If you found the plug helpful, I would think you'll be happy with cautery.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. SAAG that is kind of what I was thinking too. It always seems like a big deal before, but after you get them done you wonder why you were so worried in the first place.

Ashley, I have not gotten them done yet. I have an appointment on June 26, but I am leaning towards getting the lower two done. I definitely notice a difference without a plug in my left eye. I also would much rather have the "teary" feeling than the super dry feeling.

Comment

Working...
        X