Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Plugs Experience and a question about and Genteal Gel

Hello,

I had plugs put into my lower puncta. Because I didn't think there was much effect, about a week later, the doctor tried a collagen upper puncta plug on my left eye.

At first, the collagen plug felt great, but then I noticed that my tears were really pooling and I had to dab my left eye quite a lot.

The doctor said this meant that the lower puncta plugs were enough.

I did try an experiment of walking with my contacts on for 8 hours on a very windy day. I thought for sure that my eyes must be completely red as they really felt dry. However, I checked in the mirror and they weren't really red.
    They were still pretty white and didn't look irritated.

Today, I'm trying the same experiment, this time with putting some drops in occasionally during the day when they feel too dry.

Generally, I feel pretty good about this outcome. I wanted to be able to use the computer and walk outdoors or in offices and wear my contacts without my eyes turning into red pieces of coal. They do still feel dry at times, but there is not this red irritated look.

Was this a success? or would I get better results with having upper puncta plugs instead of lower puncta plugs?

Also, is Genteal Gel effective? Can I put it in with contacts on or should I put it in before I put the contacts in. If I put it in before I put contacts in, how long should I wait before I put the contacts in?

My eyes have always gotten irritated easily, and I definitely have dry eye, the Schirmer test showed almost no tears, but maybe my case wasn't that bad.

As I said, I can wear the contacts, and the eyes do feel somewhat dry especially in the wind or when using the computer (more so with the contacts in, less so without), but it doesn't have that veiny look. I kind of think that perhaps wearing glasses several days of the week, and wearing contacts a day or two a week 6-8 hours in a day ... with an occasional eye drop, that this constitutes a success ...or do my eyes really need more tears to be healthy?

What do you think?

JoeB

GenTeal, like everything else, is an individual thing. It is the only thing that helps me get through the night. It is thick so I would never use it during the day unless I was sick and sleeping. I would not put it in with contacts. I think your ability to tolerate contacts is a huge success. I have all four puncta plugged and still can't tolerate contacts for more than an hour or two, and that is with putting in drops constantly. I'm happy for you!
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I had a collagen plug placed in my left eye and it was great. Solved my excessively dry eye problem within a week. Instead of GenTeal Severe (the gel which you are referring to), I would recommend two drops of TheraTears Contact Lens Comfort Drops before lens insertion. Made for a great buffer when I used to wear contacts a few short weeks ago. If that does not do the trick, try Systane Free and then GenTeal GelDrops before going with GenTeal Severe. The general GenTeal disclaimer is to instill their products with a 15-minute wait time before lens insertion. This is to prevent any unforseen reactions with active ingredients of the product (particularly the preservative) and the contact lens substrate. That said, I have never had any problems with using GenTeal Moderate with Acuvue Advance lenses in direct conjunction with one another.

Comment

Thanks Kitty and Adamlau
        Originally posted by kitty
        GenTeal, like everything else, is an individual thing. It is the only thing that helps me get through the night. It is thick so I would never use it during the day unless I was sick and sleeping. I would not put it in with contacts. I think your ability to tolerate contacts is a huge success. I have all four puncta plugged and still can't tolerate contacts for more than an hour or two, and that is with putting in drops constantly. I'm happy for you!

Comment

Working...
        X